April 23, 2024, 07:34:09 AM

News:

'86 FXRC specs

Started by JamesButler, December 05, 2017, 04:31:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JamesButler

Need help identifying some stock parts of the '86 FXRC.  It was the two-tone burgundy and black model.

Specifically:

Engine color: were the jugs and case wrinkle black or aluminum? Or a combination of the two, e.g., case =aluminum and jugs = wrinkle black?

Front wheel was a 19"-wire spoked?

Rear wheel solid aluminum or wire spoked?

Seat was a two-tone black & grey, hinged w/ latch?

Can't seem to find consistent "images" on any of the search engines. So, any photos of a stock '86 FXRC would be appreciated.

Breeze

My HD data book references '86 FXRT and FXRS "Liberty Editions", but no FXRC.  Bikez web page also does not show FXRC.
I'm starting to believe my body is gonna outlast my mind.

guppymech

In Girdler's book Illustrated H-D buyers Guide he has a pic and description of a '85 FXRC in candy rootbeer with blonde and chrome engine, disc rear wheel and 19" spoked front.  I saw one back in the day, very nice!
'84 FXE, '02 883R

JamesButler

Quote from: guppymech on December 06, 2017, 05:19:47 AM
In Girdler's book Illustrated H-D buyers Guide he has a pic and description of a '85 FXRC in candy rootbeer with blonde and chrome engine, disc rear wheel and 19" spoked front.  I saw one back in the day, very nice!

Yeah, the MoCo produced the FXRC from '85-'87.

The '85 model came stock with the solid candy rootbeer paint scheme, 19" front wire-spoked and 16" rear wire spoked wheels, brown pillow latch and hinge seat. Unique looking with that brown pillow seat...

The '87 model came stock with the two-toned blue and black paint scheme, solid aluminum rear wheel for sure.  Front wheel was either the 9-spoked mag or the 19"-wire-spoked wheel.  Seat was a latch and hinge, either all black or two-toned (black w/ a grey strip running down the middle).  The unique feature of the '87 was that it was the only production FXR to have a non-black frame.  It was blue and matched the blue of the tins.

BUT GETTING BACK TO THE '86 version, I found out that the '86 definitely came stock with the wrinkle black engine and 19"-wire spoked front wheel. 

But still need to find out if the rear wheel was wire-spoked like the '85 version or solid aluminum like the '87 version.  Likewise, was the seat solid black or two toned (blk w/ grey strip)?

Is it likely that the dealerships had a little more "freedom" back in '86, when the MoCo wasn't as uniform and organized, to possibly downgrade the rear wheel to a 19" wire-spoked and then re-sell the solid rear as a stock "custom upgrade"?

JamesButler

December 06, 2017, 08:33:50 AM #4 Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 08:38:43 AM by JamesButler
Quote from: Breeze on December 06, 2017, 04:51:59 AM
My HD data book references '86 FXRT and FXRS "Liberty Editions", but no FXRC.  Bikez web page also does not show FXRC.

Not surprising.  The MoCo was not as organized with keeping data and records back in the mid-80's, as the culture then was still not computer savvy. A google images or any search engine image search of "1986 FXRC" will show the model.  However, there are not enough photos to provide any consistency regarding the rear wheel and seat. 

From the images I have seen, I am leaning towards them being a wire-spoked rear wheel and a solid black seat, but would like some corroboration from some previous or current owners or those who are in the know.

JamesButler

Nobody has an '86 parts catalog they could refer to for me.  I only have catalogs from '87-'94.   :rtfb:  :doh:  :nix:

JW113

Who the heck needs parts manuals? It's all on line!

http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche.com/stcharlesharleydavidson/showmodel.asp?make=hdmc

Yes, I see your model there under 1986. See the seat, no listing for wheels. Must be same as FXRS?

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

nibroc

good one JW except it only goes back to '79

JW113

Yep, so true. They changed it earlier this year, used to go WAY back. Bastards!!!

-JW

bootit

The 84-86 fxr parts book has two small sections in the back. Late 85 fxrc The front wheel 43312-84 19" spoke, the rear wheel 40951-82 16" No listing in the late 86 fxrc for wheels. The late 85 shows the seats are brown The late 86 shows the seats, different part #s no colour. The late 86 section shows the crankcases & heads as wrinkle black, no reference to cylinders.

JamesButler

December 07, 2017, 07:32:24 AM #10 Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 07:58:38 AM by JamesButler
Quote from: bootit on December 07, 2017, 03:18:29 AM
The 84-86 fxr parts book has two small sections in the back. Late 85 fxrc The front wheel 43312-84 19" spoke, the rear wheel 40951-82 16" No listing in the late 86 fxrc for wheels. The late 85 shows the seats are brown The late 86 shows the seats, different part #s no colour. The late 86 section shows the crankcases & heads as wrinkle black, no reference to cylinders.
Thanks for the help.  I'm guessing "late '85" transitions into "early '86", but not 100% on that guess.  If so, then the early production #'s of the '86 FXRC would probably use the late '85 parts, such as the wire laced rear wheel #40951-82, which you provided.  :up: 

The online catalog (link below) that I just discovered gives the late '86 seat part #52188-86, which is different than the late '87 part# that it gives as 52188-87.  The slight change from -87 to -88 suggests that they are similar seats, except for a minor difference. In this case, I think the -86 is all black while the -87 is the same style black seat, except with the grey strip running in the center.

In addition, it shows the late '87 wheel as part #41059-87 (Disc Blk.).  I always thought that the rear disc wheel was aluminum, but after looking at images more closely, it is black.

The online catalog also jibes with all the other info you provided.  So, thanks again for taking the time to provide some solid intel.

Quote from: JW113 on December 06, 2017, 05:58:13 PM

http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche.com/stcharlesharleydavidson/showmodel.asp?make=hdmc

Yes, I see your model there under 1986. See the seat, no listing for wheels. Must be same as FXRS?
-JW
Thanks for effort and the link to the online parts catalog.   While the online catalogs are helpful most of the time, unfortunately, in this case, it's not 100% accurate or reliable.   :doh: 

While it shows the correct p/n correct for the seat (#52188-86), the image is incorrect  In addition it designates the FXRC as a "CS" when it should be designated as "EJ".  Also, it doesn't include either the '85 or '87 FXRC.

I did however find another online parts catalog that goes as far back to 1941 and includes more info on all the FXRC models.  Here's the link for you:

https://www.dodgecityharleydavidson.com/OEMpartfinder.htm#

JW113

Hey right on man! That's the same one that St. Charles used to have before they changed it.

Thanks!

-JW

Hybredhog

I was at a dealership in '85 & I remember the FXRC as a burnt orange/ or Tangerine, with wire wheels, silver engine/chrome, and a small commemorative #  plate on the tank dash. The one we sold was 1 of I think 900? 
'01 FXDXT, '99 FXDL/XRD, '76 FLH

FSG

Quote from: JW113 on December 06, 2017, 06:39:27 PM
Yep, so true. They changed it earlier this year, used to go WAY back. Bastards!!!

-JW

I think they (Dealers/Parts Supplys) have been given little or no option but to use the HLSM Online Microfiche, the HD System or nothing at all, there are still a few that use the ARI Partstream System.

JamesButler

Quote from: jeffscycle on December 07, 2017, 09:49:31 AM
   I was at a dealership in '85 & I remember the FXRC as a burnt orange/ or Tangerine, with wire wheels, silver engine/chrome, and a small commemorative #  plate on the tank dash. The one we sold was 1 of I think 900?

Some call it candy root-beer.  Don't forget the brown seat.

JamesButler

July 16, 2018, 07:51:17 PM #15 Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 09:21:27 PM by JamesButler
Anyone have the gold trimmed dash for the '86 FXRC, or the gold "Custom" decal for the fork cover, and /or the gold trim inserts for the fender strut covers?

Also, does anyone know what the stock '86 FXRC air-cleaner insert trim reads below the "Eighty Cubic Inches"?

Deye76

I've found my local dealer to have parts books and diagrams & they copied some for me while I was revamping my 92 RP. Might try a dealer.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

bakerfxr

this is the most info ive seen on the 86fxrc. i found it on the web. i own #487 of 1250. that elvis guy in cali has a lot of parts. ive never ordered from him.

hbkeith

Quote from: Deye76 on July 17, 2018, 07:21:53 AM
I've found my local dealer to have parts books and diagrams & they copied some for me while I was revamping my 92 RP. Might try a dealer.
:agree:  try a dealer that's been around since the 80,s

Breeze

Try a thread that hasn't been around since 2017.  :potstir:
I'm starting to believe my body is gonna outlast my mind.

JamesButler

Quote from: bakerfxr on February 21, 2019, 07:29:49 AM
this is the most info ive seen on the 86fxrc. i found it on the web. i own #487 of 1250. that elvis guy in cali has a lot of parts. ive never ordered from him.

Thanks.  I found the brochure that you posted on eBay a few months back.  Turns out that the seller lived only 10 mins away from me... Any pics of your #487?

david lee

Quote from: JW113 on December 06, 2017, 05:58:13 PM

-JW
thats if you got a computer

bakerfxr

heres one on the lift for the mid control/2 into1 / new carb swap. still a couple back brake fittings and master cylinder boot away from done. did a quick no back brake test drive and it ran better than expected as the carb is out of box with no tuning other than an educated guess on jetting