April 25, 2024, 06:02:33 AM

News:

Question about oil filter mounts

Started by misfitJason, October 19, 2018, 03:33:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

misfitJason

I have a 1988 evo motor now in the softail I built, which has a separate oil filter mount that doesn't mount to the cases.  I am going to purchase a new S&S motor and have a oem 92-up style filter mount that would mount to the case but I would prefer not to run the hard lines.

Is it possible to do to the stock one what is done to this gloss black one (meaning the fittings to eliminate the hard lines) or do I have to purchase a different mount?
2006 Dyna, Kraftech Evo Softail

FSG

just tap it to take reducing bushes if needed then fit the barbed hosetails

rageglide

Just to be difficult, why no hard lines?  Softails vibrate, you're going to have to lock down any fancy braided lines and even rubber lines if you don't want them to damage stuff or get damaged.   I've always liked those solid lines on the motor mounted oil filter mount personally.

misfitJason

I guess I don't want the hard lines because I have never run hard lines before.  I planned on running rubber lines the whole way as I have now.  I've never had a problem with the rubber lines and I don't care about them aesthetically.

Reddog74usa

Why not use the older set up behind the trans???
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

Deye76

East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

misfitJason

I am running a remote oil filter now, but want the oem style mount.

Deye76

East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

farmall

Hose barbs will fit. Take mount to your local hardware store and go to the brass pipe fitting section. You'll be done in minutes. If you need something (like  45-degree) they may not have check online. I'm partial to stainless and that's cheaper than buying brass locally.

I had one of those lying around but went with a Biltwell mount and bracket instead since my 1988 cases weren't drilled/tapped/spotfaced for the HD mount.  The S&S mount is thinner so if your new engine comes with one that might suit you.

jsachs1

I even have 1 of those on my Safety Kleen machine. :idea:
John

JW113

MisfitJason, what did you end up doing with this? I am actually considering the same thing right now.

When I took the engine out of my '92, and removed the oil filter mount, I found those hard chrome oil lines loose as a goose. The fitting caps were tight, in fact tightened all the way down, but the pipes simply slid right out. There was essentially no pressure on them from the rubber compliance washers.

I think this helps explain why the lower surfaces of the engine and transmission were always 'wet'. Oil oozing out of the compliance fittings. Just my feeling, but it sure seems a neoprene hose and a hose clamp would put a lot more clamp force on an oil connection than compliance fittings.

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

rageglide

Those rubber seals are cheap and work very well.. although maybe not after 25 yrs and who knows how much sitting.  As we know most evo softails sit far more than they are ridden...  I've replaced mine a few times and personally like the hard line solution between the pump and the filter in particular.  If I had rubber lines there I'd replace them more often than the seals.