April 25, 2024, 08:05:14 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Swingarm upgrade

Started by wfolarry, January 01, 2019, 06:59:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wfolarry

I've seen posted in the past where guys have upgraded their swingarm with one from a Twin Cam. I put a late model front end on the bike a few years ago so now I'm thinking about doing the rear. So I have 2 questions:
1]For the guys that have done it what did you notice most about the upgrade? Ride? Handling?
2]What parts did you need & what modifications did you have to do to make it work?
If it's worth it I'll start collecting parts for it now. Between ebay & a local custom bike shop I shouldn't have any trouble collecting the parts I would need.
My bike is an 85 FLHTC.
Thanks.

Rsw

Back on my 97 Road King I updated the swing arm to the 02-08 one with the custom cycle engineering kit it worked great and made the rear more stable over the original one. I highly recommend the upgrade. You will need the kit a swing arm and rear caliper and change to 1 inch rear wheel bearings it's fairly easy to do

turboprop

Quote from: wfolarry on January 01, 2019, 06:59:57 AM
I've seen posted in the past where guys have upgraded their swingarm with one from a Twin Cam. I put a late model front end on the bike a few years ago so now I'm thinking about doing the rear. So I have 2 questions:
1]For the guys that have done it what did you notice most about the upgrade? Ride? Handling?
2]What parts did you need & what modifications did you have to do to make it work?
If it's worth it I'll start collecting parts for it now. Between ebay & a local custom bike shop I shouldn't have any trouble collecting the parts I would need.
My bike is an 85 FLHTC.
Thanks.

I am addition to what was already mentioned, the bike will need longer shocks, with a different spring rate and valving as the mounts on the later arm are located further to the rear. You will also need a different hub or wheel that is set up for 1" bearings. The wheel on your 85 cannot be used in this application.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

wfolarry

I can get a wheel & shocks off a late model. Will they be the right length?

ecir50

You can relocate shock mounts to avoid that one obstacle like the one below or buy the one below ready for pivot bearing kit to your liking.

https://www.fxrdivision.com/twin-cam-fxr-parts/fxr-twin-cam-swing-arm

Late model wheel also means late model pulley and rotor. Will require the 139 tooth belt.

Rsw

Quote from: wfolarry on January 01, 2019, 12:25:38 PM
I'm not sure about your 85 on my 97 the shock length was the same

turboprop

Quote from: wfolarry on January 01, 2019, 12:25:38 PM

Yes.

koko3052

Why couldn't you build some bushings to fit your axle to the new swingarm & keep your own wheel then also?  :scratch:

hbkeith

when guys first started doing this upgrade , wasn't there something folks were doing to the 3/4" old wheel to make them work ?

turboprop

Quote from: hbkeith on January 01, 2019, 04:59:00 PM
when guys first started doing this upgrade , wasn't there something folks were doing to the 3/4" old wheel to make them work ?

Yes, to the ¾" SEALED BEARING wheel. Was a simple bearing and tube swap. Some wheels had to have the area inside the hub enlarged to accommodate the larger tube for the 1" axle.

Also, the idea of making bushings and a new ¾ axle (yes, a new axle is required because the new swingarm is wider) in order to use the old evo era wheel has got to be one of more ridiculous ideas I have seen on this website.

Burnout

Isn't the 1" axle part of the strength and stability of the newer swing arm?

Also for a direct comparison an old style swing arm with new bushings would need to be compared to a new style swingarm.

A different shock location is also going to factor into the equation.
Altering the motion ratio of the shocks would be a dramatic change to the feel.
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

wfolarry

Will the wide belt fit a late model wheel or will I have to change the pulley? I already have the 139 belt.

turboprop

Quote from: wfolarry on January 02, 2019, 02:45:29 AM
Will the wide belt fit a late model wheel or will I have to change the pulley? I already have the 139 belt.

The early pulley will have to have the center hole enlarged in order to mount on the later wheel/hub.

capn

I just did this to my 97. Feels better in turns still has head shake on highway behind a semi but not as bad. FLHT. I got a later model pulley off ebay and I had to space it out .125 to make the belt clear the tire.The early pulley with enlarged hole might not need spacing. Am using 04 wheels front and rear.

Billy

Reference my two posts in this thread, then use OE parts to mount the swingarm. I'll be happy to send you the tool if you want to use it.

http://harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php?topic=23815.msg244700#msg244700

https://shop.outpostalaska.com/OEMpartfinder.htm#/Harley-Davidson%C2%AE/FLHTC_1DJV_ELECTRA_GLIDE_CLASSIC_(2002)/FRAME,_REAR_FORK_&_JIFFY_STAND/99456-02C%5CDJ/FLHTC_1DJV_ELECTRA_GLIDE_CLASSIC_(2002)//FRAME,_REA
Lazyness is the Mother of Invention

turboprop

Quote from: Billy on January 02, 2019, 09:25:51 AM
Reference my two posts in this thread, then use OE parts to mount the swingarm. I'll be happy to send you the tool if you want to use it.

https://shop.outpostalaska.com/OEMpartfinder.htm#/Harley-Davidson%C2%AE/FLHTC_1DJV_ELECTRA_GLIDE_CLASSIC_(2002)/FRAME,_REAR_FORK_&_JIFFY_STAND/99456-02C%5CDJ/FLHTC_1DJV_ELECTRA_GLIDE_CLASSIC_(2002)//FRAME,_REA

This is good stuff.

wfolarry

You used that tool to bore the case from 5/8 to 3/4?

Billy

Quote from: wfolarry on January 02, 2019, 12:58:22 PM

Yes, transmission in frame, turned it with a hand drill motor with a side handle, it took a few minutes, have to keep it wet (CRC 5-56) and pull it back to clear the chips about every half inch, clean straight bore about .002-.003 over the OD of the pivot shaft. I used a new pivot shaft, liberally coated it with never-seize before installing it, it's still in there probably 10 years now, bike is still rock solid. PM me your address, I'll send it to you, you can try it in a piece of scrap (I did) before you bore your case.

wfolarry

I won't be doing anything until the spring. Have the bike put away for the winter. Collecting the parts now. I'll let you know. I like your setup. 👍 Thanks.

thumper 823

Quote from: Billy on January 02, 2019, 03:13:49 PM
Quote from: wfolarry on January 02, 2019, 12:58:22 PM

Yes, transmission in frame, turned it with a hand drill motor with a side handle, it took a few minutes, have to keep it wet (CRC 5-56) and pull it back to clear the chips about every half inch, clean straight bore about .002-.003 over the OD of the pivot shaft. I used a new pivot shaft, liberally coated it with never-seize before installing it, it's still in there probably 10 years now, bike is still rock solid. PM me your address, I'll send it to you, you can try it in a piece of scrap (I did) before you bore your case.

I sure would like the part numbers to the tools needed so i can buy them.!
Numbers and where, please?
This is a great idea!
As was thinking about it the other day - Pulling the whole transmission for a simple ream job is ridiculous.
I just want to keep the "hole centered",  And your stuff will do that.
Running just a drill through it is likely to have to adjust a lot out to get the rear wheel centered laterally and vertically again.
For sure To check the rear alignment after is the right thing to do .
The swing arm bushing are always beat after 5 years.
Too many people are running around with a flexible flier and don't even know it.
Be prepared.
D Troop 3/5, - C/16 ,162AHC, Mekong delta.
Rising from the Ashes  UHIH

Billy

Here's a pic assembled. The pilot and shank extension I made.
The spotface cutter you can buy from MSC, Enco etc.  [attach=0]

Billy