April 25, 2024, 12:53:50 AM

News:

Crankcase Class Code

Started by JW113, February 01, 2019, 08:53:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JW113

I've got a rebuilt set of flywheels coming back from Darkhorse, and they replaced/sized the pinion shaft race. So I need to fit the right size pinion bearings. The FM talks about a "crankcase class code", but nowhere do they explain what the hell that means. Anybody know?

thanks,
JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

Hillside Motorcycle

Color code I imagine, white, green, red, or blue.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

JW113

The color codes are for the bearings. Also the pinion shaft race. "The Book" has this note in it:

[attach=0]
[attach=1]

No idea what they hell they are talking about, what it means, and why it matters. I was just wondering if I was the only ignorant a-hole here, or if I had some company.
:SM:

The S&S procedure looks much more straighforeward. Just measure outer & inner, subtract, look up on chart. I think even I can manage that!

-JW

Ohio HD

I always preferred to plug fit the pinion bearings after line honing the pinion race. Keep going up in roller size till the pinion shaft and bearing rollers are snug in the race. Then subtract 0.0005" from the roller oversize that snugged up, and use those rollers.

JW113

Lemme see if I'm following that correctly. You start with the smallest set of bearings, put on pinion shaft and test fit into the case bushing, and then switch to the next size, repeat, on and on until you get to the size that is a tight fit, then use the bearings .0005" smaller than that one?

From what I see in the parts book, there are only four sizes (green, white, blue, red). So to do the above, you need all four sets, or 8 bearings, times $25 each, or $200 worth of parts that you are only going to use 2 of. Do I have that right?

-JW

Ohio HD

I used loose rollers and the early OEM bearing cage. I would keep all of the oversize rollers on hand. Then reorder what ever I ended up using.

[attach=0,msg1280423]

JW113

Ah, got it. Well, I don't have any of that stuff on hand, would have to buy it all. Will have to do the measure and select from the chart method. But interesting approach, I'll give you that.

-JW

JW113

OK, pinion bearing time. Sonnax OK? Assume S&S is good. Hard to tell where these things are made, none of them say.

thanks,
JW

wfolarry

Quote from: JW113 on February 01, 2019, 06:32:23 PM
Lemme see if I'm following that correctly. You start with the smallest set of bearings, put on pinion shaft and test fit into the case bushing, and then switch to the next size, repeat, on and on until you get to the size that is a tight fit, then use the bearings .0005" smaller than that one?

From what I see in the parts book, there are only four sizes (green, white, blue, red). So to do the above, you need all four sets, or 8 bearings, times $25 each, or $200 worth of parts that you are only going to use 2 of. Do I have that right?

-JW

The color coded ones are the late style one piece caged bearing.
Early ones were the 2 piece that you could fit the different size rollers to.
I like the one piece better only because it's easier to handle. And yes you can fit them like you described if you didn't have the tools to measure them.