April 17, 2024, 11:51:12 PM

News:

1984 FXR shock upper shock relocation

Started by flht1550, April 01, 2019, 03:04:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flht1550

on my 1984 FXR I'm wanting to relocate my upper shock mount like the later model. Can anyone tell me if my original upper mounting studs are welded on or are the studs threaded. Have any of you done this before and possibly have some advise or maybe picture of the work in process. Maybe i'll just leave it alone as i'll probably run saddlebags and they be hidden most of the time. Just think they'll look a bit nicer with a little more angle like the later models.

turboprop

Quote from: flht1550 on April 01, 2019, 03:04:35 PM
on my 1984 FXR I'm wanting to relocate my upper shock mount like the later model. Can anyone tell me if my original upper mounting studs are welded on or are the studs threaded. Have any of you done this before and possibly have some advise or maybe picture of the work in process. Maybe i'll just leave it alone as i'll probably run saddlebags and they be hidden most of the time. Just think they'll look a bit nicer with a little more angle like the later models.

I have done this a couple times. The new style shock mounts have a smooth bore. Side to side alignment is critical. I suggest drilling the holes slightly oversize for the sleeves to go into. Use a piece of rod, some OD as the hole in the sleeve to keep them aligned while welding them in place.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

flht1550

So did you weld in the sleeves and then just use a grade eight bolt for the upper mount or a stepped stud mount like the old 4 speed swing arm frames

turboprop

Several ways to build the mousetrap.

1. The OEM hardware used proprietary bolt, similar design and size as a harley engine head bolt. The bolt went through the shock, strut, frame , fender and was secured by a standard hex bolt from the inside of the fender.  My blue/white FXR is setup this way and uses a stainless long head bolt that was cut to length to attach the upper shock the OEM way.

2. Instead of a smooth sleeve, use a tapped bung. ½-13 on the outside, 5/16-18 on the inside. My red/white and black/gold FXR's are setup this way. Both bikes use ARP 12pt ½" bolts for the upper shock mount and a button head bolt on the inside to mount the fender.

I have done it both ways and IME each have their pro's and con's. Alignment is the biggest issue. Much easier to get it right with the smooth sleeve.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.