April 26, 2024, 01:00:57 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Stock Valve Springs

Started by Buglet, April 03, 2019, 06:32:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buglet

Who makes a good stock replacement valve spring for use with a stock cam or a bolt in cam like a EV 27 or W 6, And what kind of seat pressure should it have.

JW113

Just to ask the question, why are you replacing them?

To answer the question, I like Kibblewhite, but I'm sure there are many other options that are just as good. In fact, I am not aware of any "bad" brands (other than what generic crap that V-Tiwan sells). Just for a data point, my machine shop guy refuses to use beehive springs of any type, based on the fact he has only seen bikes come into his shop with broken valve springs that the customer had insisted on using beehives.

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

Buglet

Some lost there tension two of them tested at 75 lb and the other two were around 110 lbs.

jsachs1

rageglide

Quote from: JW113 on April 03, 2019, 08:46:58 AM
Just to ask the question, why are you replacing them?

To answer the question, I like Kibblewhite, but I'm sure there are many other options that are just as good. In fact, I am not aware of any "bad" brands (other than what generic crap that V-Tiwan sells). Just for a data point, my machine shop guy refuses to use beehive springs of any type, based on the fact he has only seen bikes come into his shop with broken valve springs that the customer had insisted on using beehives.

-JW

Roger uses fairly generic automotive two piece spring sets with damper, nothing special.  As you said, he's been burned by the beehives.  Most conservative mechanic we know I'd bet.  He uses what works and sticks with it.   

My Woods 6h set up ran 165 seat pressure and at that time Andrews springs  (2006)  Was quiet by Woods standards.

Hillside Motorcycle

Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

Buglet

I what kind of seat pressure should I be looking for. Basically stock for bolt in cams 

Don D

120# is sufficient. Use the Andrews red springs, they work fine and give the ability to use higher lift or just buy new HD springs, both are affordable.

Buglet

I have all different springs here and was going to use the red Andrews red spring until I check them and at 1.850 they were coming in around 185 lbs which was a lot more then I want. Unless I got a bad set they are out.

Don D

Depends on the protrusion which changes the spring pack height. 185# is too high in my book. Manley 99240 will go in at 150# at 1.8" which is fine

guppymech

My stock '84 Shovelhead needed a valve job last year and I replaced the valve springs with NOS Harley ones off ebay, still in the factory packaging.  I figured why try and re-invent the wheel.
'84 FXE, '02 883R

Buglet

Not trying to re-invent but trying to improve. Look at the wheel, would you want to ride on the first wheel that was out there or a new improve wheel that you have now, they both go around. There always room for improvement.

wfolarry

Valve springs today are much better than they were 5 0r 10 years ago. Light years ahead of what they were 20 or 30 years ago. you're doing the right thing.  :up:

remington007

I have been using the 600 lift Jims spring set Drag sells for stock replacement. They are springs only and fit the stock upper and lower collars. 125# seat pressure, 275# at .500 lift. No issues so far.

Don D

The stock retainers limit lift. Those Jim's springs sound about right for what you want to do with stock lift.