April 24, 2024, 03:53:10 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

evo clutch upgrade

Started by vern, April 04, 2019, 03:15:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vern

Hi folks.  Can I upgrade my 89 to 93 clutch to a newer 94 to 2005 clutch? thanks.

turboprop

Quote from: vern on April 04, 2019, 03:15:07 PM
Hi folks.  Can I upgrade my 89 to 93 clutch to a newer 94 to 2005 clutch? thanks.

You have combined a couple of year groups into one. The correct groups are '94-'97 and '98-'05. The '94-'97 clutch basket is not an upgrade as it is the same everything with the exception of the ring gear. The '98-'05 is a txattally different clutch and has several significant upgrades (search, has been discussed countless times). To run the '98 and up clutch, the ring gear will have to be changed to a 66 tooth (Available from several aftermarket resellers). The engine sprocket will have to have the correct tooth count that matches the basket ('98-'05 basket was available in 36 and 37 tooth versions).

FWIW - All of my pre-94 FXR's run a '98 and up clutch basket. I prefer the 25/36 gearing over the 24/37 combination solely for the mechanical advantage it provides for the starter. These bikes run chain drive to the rear wheel so the overall drive ration can be set to anything without regards to the primary drive ratio.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

Ironheadmike

Isn't  the shaft on your tranny tapered ?

kd

That was what I was thinking too.   :scratch:   Did you have to swap out the mainshaft.
KD

turboprop

Quote from: Ironheadmike on April 10, 2019, 06:40:09 PM
Isn't  the shaft on your tranny tapered ?

No.

The later year bikes (not FXR specific) had splined shafts. The exact year of the change over and what is required to convert tapered to splined is readily available online.

kd

April 10, 2019, 09:09:22 PM #5 Last Edit: April 10, 2019, 09:17:19 PM by kd
 :missed:  THIS is on line isn't it?   :nix:   :teeth:
KD

turboprop

Quote from: kd on April 10, 2019, 09:09:22 PM
:missed:  THIS is on line isn't it?   :nix:

Yes. And your point? Let me guess, you want me to spoon feed you information that is already readily available on this forum?

kd

Noooo,  I'm OK.  Actually, now I couldn't give a ....  :turd:   I just thought because you're the FXR expert, and you gave out a bunch of clutch info in post #2 already, and I know nothing, you might want to help out.   :idunno:   Carry on my friend.   
KD

turboprop

Quote from: kd on April 10, 2019, 09:40:23 PM
Noooo,  I'm OK.  Actually, now I couldn't give a ....  :turd:   I just thought because you're the FXR expert, and you gave out a bunch of clutch info in post #2 already, and I know nothing, you might want to help out.   :idunno:   Carry on my friend.

See, that's the thing, this is not FXR specific as the change applied to all big twins. As you can probably tell, I get somewhat annoyed with people asking the same questions that have discussed many times, ie: twin cam lifters. Really wish everyone would search before starting new threads. Would be great to have as much information about a subject consolidated in one place vs dozens of separate threads. Rant off.