March 28, 2024, 08:30:41 AM

News:

Starter Relay

Started by Dogz, April 08, 2019, 03:20:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dogz

99 fxstc, just put the new battery in (Duracell). This has happened before I put the battery in, but it is happening again. Hit the starter button on handle bars, tries to start, can here a click on the relay. Did some trouble shooting, i have 12v on term 30 & 87. Manual is saying I should get 12v when i push the start button between 30 & 87. i have 12v without pushing the button. I still had 12v when i pushed the button too. Forgot to test term 30 & 87a to see if that had 0v, maybe relay is stuck?

Had all new handle buttons put on, 2014ish. Could it be the start button, pinched wire?

Hossamania

April 08, 2019, 04:22:59 PM #1 Last Edit: April 08, 2019, 04:29:53 PM by Hossamania
Did you charge the battery before you put it in? Battery should read 12.8 volts or so at rest, maybe more.
Also, be aware that sometimes the battery cables corrode under the shrink tubing right at the connector going to the battery. A click usually means the relay is working, but not getting enough amps to the starter.
A test I sometimes use is to jump it with a car battery (not running) to see if it will start. If so, there are other issues.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

fbn ent

:agree:
12.8V minimum is a good battery.
Check to be sure all grounds are good. Most electrical issues are bad grounds.

'02 FLTRI - 103" / '84 FLH - 88"<br />Hinton, Alberta

cheech

30 should have 12V with the key switch on tank in the ignition spot, 86 is from the start button. So with the start button pressed 12v goes to the coil side of the relay (86) so be sure 12 volt  there. Probably is as it's clicking. Lastly 87 that goes to solenoid on starter gets 12 volt from 30 as the contacts close when the starter button is pressed.
So with dash switch on only 30 and 87A ( as 87A are the normally closed contacts) should have 12 volts. But there is no lead on 87A according to that diagram.
As stated above make sure battery has full charge. Also I suggest put relay back in and take green wire off start post of solenoid down at starter and be sure 12 volt is there when starter button pressed.

FSG

Quote from: DOGZ on April 08, 2019, 03:20:43 PM
99 fxstc, just put the new battery in (Duracell). This has happened before I put the battery in, but it is happening again. Hit the starter button on handle bars, tries to start, can here a click on the relay. Did some trouble shooting, i have 12v on term 30 & 87. Manual is saying I should get 12v when i push the start button between 30 & 87. i have 12v without pushing the button. I still had 12v when i pushed the button too. Forgot to test term 30 & 87a to see if that had 0v, maybe relay is stuck?

Had all new handle buttons put on, 2014ish. Could it be the start button, pinched wire?

Quotecan here HEAR a click on the relay

OK so the relay is operating but the starter isn't, sounds like a pooped relay to me

Quotei have 12v on term 30 & 87

you should have 12v on term 30 & 87A NOT on 87

QuoteManual is saying I should get 12v when i push the start button between 30 & 87

it's highly unlikely the manual has said between 30 & 87, between 87 and GND I believe

Quotei have 12v without pushing the button.

now that I will believe because your multimeter neg black lead is getting the ground via the starter solenoid and the multimeter pos red lead is getting the 12v from term 30

you have the relay out so the relay socket 123B is open to testing

use a short wire with both ends stripped back, momentarily jump term 87 to term 30 to see it the starter engages

I've done this sort of test in the past using a paperclip on other occasions using needle nose pliers

fbn ent

Put 12V to where the green wire attaches to the starter......if it goes, it's upstream.
'02 FLTRI - 103" / '84 FLH - 88"<br />Hinton, Alberta

Dan89flstc

Touch the positive probe of your voltmeter to the positive battery terminal, the negative probe to the green wire at the relay or solenoid, whichever is easier to get to.

The wire must be connected, the only way to know what is going on is to test the circuit under load.

What voltage does the meter read when you press the start button?
US Navy Veteran
A&P Mechanic

rageglide

stupid question, did you open up the "bendix" on the starter and make sure the copper disk is not totally trashed?   

My '94 has experienced a few issues over the years.   
- Push button and zero reaction, repeat, works.
- Push button, spins, no fire, let off backfire

There are several connections in the production wiring harness each one presents resistance.  If you look at the wiring to the starter relay you will find that the ground is undersized and the trigger is not much better. 

The push start and spin, let off and backfire is 100% fixed by adding a relay to bypass the ignition switch feed to the ignition/coils.  Never once a problem since. 

Dogz

Quote from: FSG on April 08, 2019, 08:58:48 PM
Quote from: DOGZ on April 08, 2019, 03:20:43 PM

Quotecan here HEAR a click on the relay

OK so the relay is operating but the starter isn't, sounds like a pooped relay to me

Quotei have 12v on term 30 & 87

you should have 12v on term 30 & 87A NOT on 87

QuoteManual is saying I should get 12v when i push the start button between 30 & 87

it's highly unlikely the manual has said between 30 & 87, between 87 and GND I believe

Quotei have 12v without pushing the button.

now that I will believe because your multimeter neg black lead is getting the ground via the starter solenoid and the multimeter pos red lead is getting the 12v from term 30

you have the relay out so the relay socket 123B is open to testing

use a short wire with both ends stripped back, momentarily jump term 87 to term 30 to see it the starter engages  I did this and the started engaged.

I've done this sort of test in the past using a paperclip on other occasions using needle nose pliers

FSG

Quoteuse a short wire with both ends stripped back, momentarily jump term 87 to term 30 to see it the starter engages  I did this and the started engaged.

I did this and the started engaged.

well the relay is pooped

Burnout

I carry a spare, so I'll never need one. Fits a zilliion bikes.
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

Dogz

Quote from: FSG on April 12, 2019, 03:21:42 PM
Quoteuse a short wire with both ends stripped back, momentarily jump term 87 to term 30 to see it the starter engages  I did this and the started engaged.

I did this and the started engaged.

well the relay is pooped

Thanks for the help. Installed new relay, fired right up. 12.97 volts on battery. :up: