March 28, 2024, 01:44:11 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Show your FXR

Started by Reddog74usa, January 18, 2009, 08:49:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnwesley

Just picked this one up for dad. It was a cool find. We have been looking for the right bike for 6 years now and was on the sent of this bike for two years before it all came together.

[attach=1]  [attach=0]
05 FXD superglide,98",10.6,S&S585, HPI 55/58,
WFO Larry's cnc2+, supermeg,120hp

kd

KD

bakerfxr

Deye76

Beautiful RT John, Your Dad is lucky indeed.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

klammer76

Quote from: fleetmechanic on February 05, 2019, 01:01:33 PM
[attach=1,msg1280994]
A photo of the very last FXRP that was sold by the CHP and a photo of two others.  all '88 and '89.
They are all living the retired life.
:up: :up:

Deye76

Had this done to my derby cover.

Durwood

hbkeith

turboprop

'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

screem

hbkeith

thanks for the help Ed

Deye76

Looking good man. How's it running?

hbkeith

April 22, 2020, 02:04:02 AM #237 Last Edit: April 22, 2020, 02:12:38 AM by hbkeith
Quote from: Deye76 on April 20, 2020, 04:11:50 PM
Looking good man. How's it running?
Good , comp eliminator seemed to take care of noise , great wheelie bike lol. going to do some checking for leaks and rejetting maybe to gid rid of the decel popping, .fiqure out why gas gauge isnt working after putting back together .have original Convertible Bags and Windshield (never used) going to put on it

tdrglide

My 92 fxr.  Yes basic black and chrome. About 94 thou on the clock now. I rescued it about 7 years ago.

chipthedonkey

Just discovered this thread so I'll play too.  My FXR2 purchased two years ago.  It had sat for a long time before coming to me.  Tires still had new nips on them but were 12 years old.  That's how much it had set.

Came from northern PA and had been stored in a barn.  It showed it too.  Fortunately the paint survived well.  A lot of the chrome not-so-much.  Front wheel was eaten through from the inside out.  Someone had put an ugly uncomfortable short drag bar on it for a handlebar and forward controls sometime in its life.  For someone with a 29.5" inseam it was all but unrideable.  Especially since the carburetor was as rotten as the front wheel.

Over the course of two or three months it came back in shape.  Fortunately it made it to me in February so the timing worked out.  New wheel, bars, risers, switch housings, etc.  It actually cleaned up very nicely.  It had enjoyed good care before being put out to pasture.

I'd forgotten how bad those stock single piston calipers were.  Good gawd even my old ass could outride those things.  So better brakes front and rear. After a new carb and failed cam sensor being replaced with a single fire kit the engine is great.  Really smooth little Evo.  Bone stock internally and it does everything it should.

Neither of the pics are the bike today.  The pic at the old gas station is close though.  For some reason I don't now recall the sissy bar is off the bike that day.  Must of been in the middle of something. 

Of the three it was this one's turn today.  Gorgeous afternoon and it went 150 miles going nowhere in particular.

When I tossed the forward controls I went with the old FXR cop bike footboards.  Just way more comfortable for me and I was lucky enough to score parts cheap.  About the only thing I'm thinking of still doing is adding a front crash bar.  Partly because I like the idea of crash bars and partly because hanging pegs off of it would give one more place to rest feet or stretch legs. 

This one is a fun bike though.  It looks great and runs wonderfully.  Dialed in and just a nice ride.

tdrglide

Well that cleaned up nicely.
Mine had also sat for many years. Over 10. Guy I got it from said he did most of his own work on it. After I got it home and started fixing things that were wrong or worn out, I wanted to go back to his house and just confiscate all his tools. But probably would have just been a hammer, maybe some vice grips.  :turd:  It came with a service manual but doubt he ever read it

chipthedonkey

Quote from: tdrglide on June 03, 2020, 06:41:51 AM
Well that cleaned up nicely.
Mine had also sat for many years. Over 10. Guy I got it from said he did most of his own work on it. After I got it home and started fixing things that were wrong or worn out, I wanted to go back to his house and just confiscate all his tools. But probably would have just been a hammer, maybe some vice grips.  :turd:  It came with a service manual but doubt he ever read it

I was lucky in that regard.  In mine's life it seems to have been pretty well and pretty correctly taken care of while it was active.  Then it just sat for a long time.  Honestly aside from oil changes I'm not sure mine ever got a lot of service.  It was just pretty untouched (in a good way).  Nice reliable old machine.  When I got it 2 1/2 years ago it came to me with about 22k miles on it.  Now showing about 29k and it's just a happy little bike that doesn't seem inclined to give me any trouble.  It's next winter chore will be lifters and a cam bearing.  Just because they're lifters and it'll be 30+ thousand miles.

RedFXR2

Nice ride, 2Lane.  Of course, I'm biased.

Hmmmm.  Calls himself 2Lane.  Has a red bike, and I'm betting more than one.  Sounds familiar somehow.   :wink: 

chipthedonkey

Quote from: RedFXR2 on June 06, 2020, 06:12:34 PM
Nice ride, 2Lane.  Of course, I'm biased.

Hmmmm.  Calls himself 2Lane.  Has a red bike, and I'm betting more than one.  Sounds familiar somehow.   :wink:

You can feel plagiarized or honored but I stole a note, or several notes, from yours. Your research, time and documentation say to me a lot of time when I was bringing mine back from its storage maladies. For two years now though it has just been a fun bike to ride.

Deye76

Tucked in for the evening.

turboprop

Quote from: Deye76 on July 11, 2020, 01:47:18 PM
Tucked in for the evening.

How is it's new valve train package working out?
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

choseneasy

Nice job Deye.
  Is that a factory police special fairing?

Deye76

Quote from: choseneasy on July 11, 2020, 04:09:58 PM
Nice job Deye.
  Is that a factory police special fairing?

Yes. Sorry for the late reply.
Turbo, so far ok.

Reddog74usa

VERY NICE!!!!!!!  DO those type fairings affect the handling on these FXR's as I see many with them.
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

Deye76

Quote from: Reddog74usa on October 21, 2020, 06:49:10 PM
VERY NICE!!!!!!!  DO those type fairings affect the handling on these FXR's as I see many with them.
Again sorry for the late reply. I had a brand new FXR in 1992, no fairing, and now with this 92' with the fairing, no difference I can tell, except now I have protection from the elements. After owning 2 roadglides and a couple batwings, IMO this is the best fairing of all of them. Overloading the saddlebags, and a tour pac has the most effect on handling in my experience.