March 29, 2024, 04:35:10 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

wiring Gremlin

Started by 72fl, March 31, 2018, 05:14:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

72fl

On the 99 Sportster, right turn signal quit no power to the rear, front stays running illuminated but no flash, Left side works as it should. Checked wire for continuity, changed out module in tailight, pulled right front control apart all good there. Last option is headlight bucket, in a 99 is there a hodgepodge of wires up in there used a junction location ? I haven't look as of yet just thought I'd ask here. Thanks

Dan89flstc

The front signal has power, so we know the wiring up front has nothing to do with the rear light not working.

Have you checked voltage at the connector that plugs into the module (violet wire)?

Are you looking at a wiring diagram?
US Navy Veteran
A&P Mechanic

harley_cruiser

Quote from: 72fl on March 31, 2018, 05:14:29 AM
On the 99 Sportster, right turn signal quit no power to the rear, front stays running illuminated but no flash, Left side works as it should. Checked wire for continuity, changed out module in tailight, pulled right front control apart all good there. Last option is headlight bucket, in a 99 is there a hodgepodge of wires up in there used a junction location ? I haven't look as of yet just thought I'd ask here. Thanks
On the rear right, did you check for power with a vom or test light on the brown wire on the #1 terminal in the connector? Does the r turn Indicator light up?

72fl

yes looking at diagram, no I have not checked the wire at the Module yet, I checked continuity (Good) and also checked with a test light of the Violet wire inside of the taillight housing and have no power back there. I do have and am using the Schematic, I will check at the module b4 i go into the bucket, its odd,  left side functions fine and the right front is illuminated, I also changed the bulb but no luck.

harley_cruiser

I'm trying to figure out why the right front is not flashing fast. Does the right indicator light, flash?

72fl

nope its like the circuit isn't completing in the rear, I am going to check the module under the seat today as suggested by Dan

72fl

Left side turn signal working front and rear, wiring OrangeWstripe has power Violet has power Blue has power

Right side OrangeWstripe has power Blue has power Violet on the Right side NO power.

Any ideas because it is the same Violet wire on the Left side that works, and the Right side that it doesn't.

harley_cruiser

Quote from: 72fl on April 04, 2018, 08:07:20 AM
Left side turn signal working front and rear, wiring OrangeWstripe has power Violet has power Blue has power

Right side OrangeWstripe has power Blue has power Violet on the Right side NO power.

Any ideas because it is the same Violet wire on the Left side that works, and the Right side that it doesn't.
On the right it is the brown wire that feeds the violet.

72fl

Ok, any idea where I should look for that as there is no power on it when I activate the right turn signal ? Does it junction in the Headlight housing by Chance ? thank you.

harley_cruiser

Quote from: 72fl on April 04, 2018, 04:33:52 PM
Ok, any idea where I should look for that as there is no power on it when I activate the right turn signal ? Does it junction in the Headlight housing by Chance ? thank you.
You will have a connector at the front of the fender, tire might be rubbing the wire.

72fl

No power to the brown wire and no skinning in front of rear tire, not a mark on it.

Dan89flstc

Quote from: 72fl on April 06, 2018, 01:14:25 PM
No power to the brown wire and no skinning in front of rear tire, not a mark on it.

It`s important to know where you are checking the brown wire for voltage.

You have power to the front turn signal, so we know the brown wire has power between the turn signal module and the front signal...

Does the indicator light in the dash illuminate?
US Navy Veteran
A&P Mechanic

72fl

No it doesn't Illuminate,but the left arrow does, and I am checking the Brown wire back by the turn signal module under the seat and where the small junction is it is a 7 or 8 pin connector with the Orange/white,Violet,Blue, Brown, offhand I can't tell you the 2 or 3 others there. Thanks

Dan89flstc

Quote from: 72fl on April 08, 2018, 06:57:06 AM
No it doesn't Illuminate,but the left arrow does, 

You are losing me here...

Does the indicator in the dash illuminate?

Don`t confuse the signal lamp with the indicator lamp.
US Navy Veteran
A&P Mechanic

Hossamania

Quote from: Dan89flstc on April 08, 2018, 08:05:18 AM
Quote from: 72fl on April 08, 2018, 06:57:06 AM
No it doesn't Illuminate,but the left arrow does, 

You are losing me here...

Does the indicator in the dash illuminate?

Don`t confuse the signal lamp with the indicator lamp.

Sounds like the right one is not illuminating in the dash. Left one is working properly.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

72fl

April 08, 2018, 09:11:18 AM #15 Last Edit: April 08, 2018, 09:24:54 AM by 72fl
No it does not (The dash light on the right don't light )

Dash light on the Left (Arrow) does light and front and rear signals work as it should

72fl

Got it, Hood/shroud over the Headlight pinched wire, took headlight out lookin inside and seen where the wire had a crimp in it, tried it while apart and there it was. Thanks Guys

Hossamania

Sweet. Fixing electrical problems is a challenge and rewarding when done, that is for sure.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

harley_cruiser

Quote from: 72fl on April 08, 2018, 10:09:59 AM
Got it, Hood/shroud over the Headlight pinched wire, took headlight out lookin inside and seen where the wire had a crimp in it, tried it while apart and there it was. Thanks Guys
Glad you found it. Fyi I ask in #2 if you r indicator was on, then ask again in #4, that would have told us that the problem was in the front of the bike and would have saved you a lot of work. You analyse wiring like a water leak, you look for water the last place you find it, then look for the leak from there.

72fl

Thanks, sorry try to explain details maybe a lil to much :idunno: after I read my post again about the left side I can see where I said " the left side lights" hope I wasn't projecting the left side lights when I turn on the Right Blinker. haha
Thanks again