April 18, 2024, 07:31:26 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

03 883 Hugger convert to trike...engine upgrades?

Started by sbaumann14, May 08, 2018, 04:52:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sbaumann14

Gonna pull the trigger on a Frakentrike kit for the wifey.  Was thinking a 1200 kit would be benificial, but dont have a clue which direction to go here.  Did the cams myself on my twin cam, so kinda got an idea what im doing mechanically speaking. Just trying to keep it simple.
Any suggestions?

Ohio HD

I'm not a Sportster expert by any means, but have done a couple of 883 to 1200 on a budget for guys. I used Wiseco 883 to 1200 conversion pistons, used Andrews N2 cams, left heads stock, jet the carburetor. Gives a nice broad improvement to the power band. You can have your cylinders bored to the 1200 pistons. There are other pistons, cams, etc. But those were readily available and suited their needs.   

sbaumann14

Ohio HD

It really depends on your goals, I didn't in either case. I used 9.5:1 reverse done pistons, and the N2 (V2 as these wear earlier bikes, same cams). Neither of these bikes were being setup for high end power. Just guys that needed more umph for riding two up.

hogpipes1

sbaumann14

Not sure of weight by itself...site says it adds 150lbs to overall weight

rigidthumper

Lots of guys on the sportster boards buying the 1250 and 1275 kits, and buell heads.   If you could find a take off 04 and newer XL1200 top end, that will make about 70 squared with your stock cams, & keep compression reasonable. Combined with the 883 gearing, should be very ride-able. You should upgrade the clutch spring, either way.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

hogpipes1

Quote from: sbaumann14 on May 09, 2018, 01:36:51 PM
Not sure of weight by itself...site says it adds 150lbs to overall weight

Better puts some though into  shocks frt & rear , huggers stock are already lowered.   anytime i had anyone around 150 on the back of mine  2000 883 i could tell the diff- right away . under powered , shocks and brakes  pushed to the max.   What's the miles on the bike .?

sbaumann14

3300 miles on the bike, and has a single seat on it as she'll be the only one on it

sbaumann14

Julio

May 10, 2018, 04:47:05 PM #10 Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 04:58:41 PM by Julio
Quote from: sbaumann14 on May 10, 2018, 02:58:44 PM
And rear shocks come with the kit

Don't know why they would include shocks in the kit, unless the bottom shock mount on their swingarm is different from the stock shock, or they just want you to run a taller shock for clearance. Adding a trike kit is unsprung weight and does not increase the suspension load, but replacing the front end springs with  heavy duty Progressive units and maybe a thicker oil will keep the front end from excessive diving under braking.
Braking with the extra load is another matter. Considering the Frankenstein kit comes with a single rotor, I would hope the included brake caliper is a double puck, dual action piece, as opposed to the stock's single puck, single action.
The DNA swingarm and axle I used on my '91 Hugger came with dual action, double puck calipers on both wheels, so I had to replace the stock mc with one with a bigger bore. I'm not sure how much weight was added to the bike, the unit is pretty beefy, but I can still cruise at 70 mph and get over 40 mpg.

hogpipes1

Quote from: sbaumann14 on May 10, 2018, 02:58:44 PM
And rear shocks come with the kit

Give it a try , you can upgrade what's needed after you  puts some miles on it.  :up: