April 26, 2024, 07:06:23 AM

News:

2009 XL 883C

Started by detfan68, July 09, 2018, 09:54:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

detfan68

Ok let's see if I can make this legible. Not sure how to explain what's going on.

Once I shift into 5th gear and get cruising for a bit, it suddenly starts slowing and when I get back on it, it struggles to pick up speed again so I know at this point I need to get to a lower gear.

So when I pull the clutch in(and roll off the throttle) it starts to just rev, and at the same time (with clutch pulled in) slows me down as if I'm engine breaking, but I'm not. Clutch is still pulled in. Then suddenly it stops and I'm able to get back on it.

Again. Only happens in 5th gear and at higher speeds. 60 and up

Thanks

Pete_Vit

:scratch: sounds odd, only in 5th, but some things to cross off your list
any new mods ? new wheels tire combo, primary ? fluids okay ?
1) clutch adjustments, rolling on the throttle, does the engine rev excessively?
2) any sounds from the front or back wheel/brakes, as if they were locking up  :unsure:
93 XLH1200 - 96 FXSTS - 2010 Ultra Glide Classic
www.facebook.com/harleypartsch

detfan68

It's all stock. Nothing that you asked has happened.

Hossamania

It could possibly be a blocked vent on the gas tank. Otherwise I'm a bit stumped.
It almost sounds like sumping, but I don't think Sportsters are known for that.
Has there been a time when you checked the engine oil when it was cold and added some, possibly overfilling it? (Always run the motor for a few minutes before checking and adding.)
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

detfan68

Stumped as well. It's so odd that I've had a hard time explaining it   
Oil etc. etc. is all fine. Up to this point it's been Harley maintained. They can't even look at it for 10 days. So frustrating.

Pete_Vit

Quote from: detfan68 on July 09, 2018, 10:27:06 AM
It's all stock. Nothing that you asked has happened.
MY 93 1200 is all stock, but just after a top end rebuild the carb got some garbage in the jets due to a bad (missing) gas filter, so stock or not there are things to check.
if you say it's losing power in 5th ? "suddenly starts slowing and when I get back on it, it struggles to pick up speed again" and
"when I pull the clutch in(and roll off the throttle) it starts to just rev"   sounds like a possible vacuum issue (petcock) gas flow issue  :nix:

detfan68

Yea that's where I'm lost. No clue how to check that. Also it's fuel injected if that helps

Pete_Vit

FI - may be easier to diagnose, checking with the cap off, and ignition on, check for sounds of fuel you could have a busted fuel line. hopefully someone with FI skill will chime in..

Panzer

I have to agree with Hossamania and Pete_Vit on fuel.
Fuel starvation........you have a dirt problem, bad injector, or dirty injector(s).
Try some Sea Foam in the fuel tank.
If it was my bike I'd pour in a half can of Sea Foam to about three gals....... run it for about twenty miles and see what happens.
Report back!
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

detfan68

Ive noticed my oil cap keeps popping up every time I ride it. Just figured out that was in wrong..Could that be an issue?

detfan68

Also what is this turnable thing between the throttle and break cable? It looks like a star. Sort of?

detfan68

Hossamania

Quote from: detfan68 on July 09, 2018, 04:19:31 PM
Also what is this turnable thing between the throttle and break cable? It looks like a star. Sort of?

That is your throttle lock. You can tighten it to hold your throttle in place so you can let go to help the fatigue in your hand. Keep it loose when not in use. If your throttle feels sticky, it's because that is dragging. I leave mine completely loose when not in use.
It is NOT a cruise control.

Quote from: detfan68 on July 09, 2018, 04:13:29 PM
Ive noticed my oil cap keeps popping up every time I ride it. Just figured out that was in wrong..Could that be an issue?

It could be. See how it does now that it is correct.
What speed are you going when you shift into 5th gear and cruise?

Do you have an owners manual? If so, read through it completely. If not, get one, read through it completely.

detfan68

Well over 60. It's happened twice. Once on the expressway, and the other day around 60 ish.

Hossamania

Hopefully the oil cap will take care of it.

Pete_Vit

you mentioned oil cap popping out or wanting to pop out? is the oil bag (reservoir) over full? on a Sporty you check the oil level standing it up, the oil level should not be full in the reservoir that is up to the neck, there's an oil level mark at the bottom of the oil stick, that's where it needs to be.

https://youtu.be/YeYs6aq_FYk

correction: 2004 an up check oil level on the side stand  :emsad:

detfan68

detfan68

Just gonna let Harley figure it out. Have a service plan until next month may as well just let them solve it for me. Plus I think
My rear brakes need looked at anyway.

Pete_Vit

Quote from: detfan68 on July 10, 2018, 02:45:31 PM
Just gonna let Harley figure it out. Have a service plan until next month may as well just let them solve it for me. Plus I think
My rear brakes need looked at anyway.
:up: if you are paying for a plan may as well use it, personally, I've had bad luck with the dealership service folks finding anything, good luck to you and keep us updated if they find anything  :unsure: