March 28, 2024, 01:27:56 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Solid pushrod end mating hydraulic tappet

Started by xlfan, December 01, 2018, 04:16:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xlfan

Would a solid pushrod end mating to a stock hydraulic tappet cause the tappet to pump up, resulting inn too high lift on a -93 1200?

rigidthumper

Are you having valve to piston issues?  All stock evo sportsters have solid pushrods and hydraulic tappets, so, no. There is a possibility of valve float, but vary rare with stock cams.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

xlfan

Sorry, I meant solid pushrod end as in blocked oil hole inn pushrod.

It will be a hybrid topend without rocker arm lubrication through tappet and pushrod.

rigidthumper

OK. Standard hydraulic tappets use the oil to fill the gap, and the pushrod funnels the extra pressure to the top end. Maybe add a groove or two in the top of the cup so the oil has somewhere to go after filling the lifter?

xlfan

Thanks alot 😊 we're gonna try a tiny v-groove in pushrod ball. I'm actually a little embarresed that I didn't think of that myself. Thanks again.

xlfan

rigidthumper

Way cool! Are the carbs/runners anywhere big enough to feed those cylinders?

xlfan

It will be exciting to find out, it hasn't been started yet  :smile: but it is stock carb for the 500cc BSA M33 cylinder. A tad smaller bore than the 1200 EVO, and a tad longer stroke than the 500 BSA, it will end up around 1100 cc, the build never had high performance as a goal, just a cool custom v-twin BSA, the world haven't seen too many of.  :smile: