March 28, 2024, 07:17:03 AM

News:

How does the oil get there?

Started by Dan Carey, September 10, 2019, 04:12:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan Carey

Installed a S&S cam and plate with oil pump package. Lost 1/2 quart of oil when I pulled the cam cover. installed the parts and buttoned it up. Put 1/2 quart new oil in the "hole". Checked the stick no oil on the stick, thought that was odd but added a quart anyway. Called S&S, was told to drain the sump, did that 1 1/2 quarts in it. Now the stick is showing no oil like before. What do you think?

2019 114 Breakout
Hunting, fishing and Harley's not necessarily in that order. Show Low, AZ

kd

Softail leaking past the valve into the crankcase.  Starting and idling the engine would have put it back in the tank.  If not then a possible pump issue.
KD

Coyote

Dan Carey

Yes its a softail 114 Breakout FXBRS

PoorUB

Coyote was pointing out that KD's info does not apply.

You ask, " How does the oil get in there?" more importantly' "How does the oil get out?" The oil gets there to lube the engine internals. The oil is removed by one of the gear sets in the oil pump. Perhaps you are missing an o-ring on the oil pump so the oil is not getting drawn into the oil pump so it collects in the crankcase.

I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Dan Carey

PoorUB, thanks for your answer. I agree there is a problem, what exactly it is I don't know. The S&S pump is shipped held together by a plastic strap, and its a pain in the ass to get it on the shaft so its possible I may have a problem there.

kd

September 10, 2019, 06:22:03 PM #6 Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 07:54:51 PM by kd
Quote from: Coyote on September 10, 2019, 04:15:57 PM
Quote from: Dan Carey on September 10, 2019, 04:12:29 PM
2019 114 Breakout

:oops:   Missed to 2019 bit. .... and this is the M8 page too ....  :missed:
KD

PoorUB

I have not had a M8 apart, but there is 2 or 3 o-rings between the cam late and engine block, perhaps you missed one.

To The Max

Yes I agree two o rings in the cam case , can I ask why you changed the pump and plate.

Dan Carey

First I changed the cam plate because I liked the idea of bronze bushings for the crank and cam support. The oil pump because the cam case and crank sump each have their own evacuation pump.
The 2 o-rings are the life of the system, without them no pressure and no return, so I pay close attention to them. I'm sure the o-rings are in place but, I'm going to pull the pump today just to make sure. If you are paying attention you can feel the pump penetrate the o-ring on the last quarter inch of install. I asked this question to see if someone knew something I didn't or something I should check for. Thanks.

yobtaf103

You have got the oil cooled version of the S&S set up?

Dan Carey

Before install I checked for the O stamped on the pump.

PoorUB

Bronze over aluminum is a non-issue in my mind. Pretty much ever car engine built today has a shaft spinning in an aluminum bore somewhere and run for well over the 100,000 miles. Have you seen the thread with an S&S cam plate with a spun bronze bushing. One more possible point of failure.

Dan Carey

I did read that post about the spun bearing, which is not a common complaint. The bronze bushings can be modified if needed to be spin free and grooved on the outside to negate a oiling problem if they did spin. More importantly they are replaceable.

I found the solution to the problem I was having, partly my fault and partly S&S fault. Thats all I'm going to say about that. Thanks for all the advice, I did learn from this experience.

scotman623

I would really like to know the problem you were having and figured out so I don't make the same mistake when doing mine.. I totally understand you not wanting to post in public though... Hopefully mine goes smooth..
Always look forward...

PoorUB

Again, the aluminum cam plate should run the life of the engine. Bronze might be better, it is arguable.  You replaced  a part that will not wear out in normal operating life of the  engine.  Twin Cams run a cam plate with a plain aluminum bearing bore with zero isssues.  It is like improving something that doesn't  need improvement. But, hey, if it gives you a warm fuzzy feeling, then run with it. Guys have poured more money into thier motorcycles with less reason.

Breeze

Quote from: Dan Carey on September 11, 2019, 03:32:13 PM
I did read that post about the spun bearing, which is not a common complaint. The bronze bushings can be modified if needed to be spin free and grooved on the outside to negate a oiling problem if they did spin. More importantly they are replaceable.

I found the solution to the problem I was having, partly my fault and partly S&S fault. Thats all I'm going to say about that. Thanks for all the advice, I did learn from this experience.

This is an information sharing forum. Others shared/helped you, now it's time to repay the consideration that was given. 
I'm starting to believe my body is gonna outlast my mind.

Hossamania

Quote from: Breeze on September 12, 2019, 03:57:54 AM
Quote from: Dan Carey on September 11, 2019, 03:32:13 PM

This is an information sharing forum. Others shared/helped you, now it's time to repay the consideration that was given.

There are also site rules against bashing companies and individual issues should be taken up privately with that company.
Technical issues are ok to share, problems in dealing with the company to get them resolved are not necessarily ok.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

Dan89flstc

Quote from: Hossamania on September 12, 2019, 06:25:32 AM

There are also site rules against bashing companies and individual issues should be taken up privately with that company.
Technical issues are ok to share, problems in dealing with the company to get them resolved are not necessarily ok.

The issues here is not company bashing, just a simple explanation as to what caused the problem. The OP had no issue with asking for help, but when he solved the problem he won`t post what the solution was.
US Navy Veteran
A&P Mechanic

kd

Quote from: Dan89flstc on September 12, 2019, 07:06:59 AM

The issues here is not company bashing, just a simple explanation as to what caused the problem. The OP had no issue with asking for help, but when he solved the problem he won`t post what the solution was.

That's OK fellas.  When Dan asks a question, the answer is "I know the solution to the problem you are having. That's all I'm going to say about that".   :wink:   :nix:
KD

Coyote

Quote from: Breeze on September 12, 2019, 03:57:54 AM

:up:

PoorUB

He probably F'ed it up himself and now won't admit it, not like nobody else here has!

kd

KD

Pete_Vit

:nix: whacha talkin about....F@&d up ?  :hyst: :hyst:
93 XLH1200 - 96 FXSTS - 2010 Ultra Glide Classic
www.facebook.com/harleypartsch

Hossamania

Quote from: Dan89flstc on September 12, 2019, 07:06:59 AM

Good point. I thought maybe he was having problems with S&S and the specifics should stay between them.
I agree that it would be nice to hear what the technical problems were, both user induced, and failed product induced.
And no, I have never screwed something up myself. Except for that one time. And, well, that one other time...
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.