April 26, 2024, 06:49:27 PM

News:

Touring wheel on a softail

Started by MARCE, April 10, 2019, 03:15:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MARCE

Hi guys, can I put a touring rear wheel on a softail? Does It fit or can It be fittet somehow?
I found a wonderful 80 spoke wheel but it,'s for evolution touring. I have a evolution Flsts.
Thanks.

Burnout

They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

MARCE

Thanks. Actually I don't know it's axle. There's no description.

MARCE

This flange is strange, it has 4 screws and 5 outer holes. The Evo softail flange have to have just 5 holes, doesn't it?

JW113

I don't know why, but the bagger wheels mount the brake disk differently that does Softail. Both have 5 mount holes, but the Softail disk has a centering hub, whereas the bagger disk does not. I don't know if this has to do with the fact they have different types of swing arms, and how the disk is located in relation to the caliper, between the two. Ask the guy if you can borrow it, and set it up in the swing arm and see if the disk is centered in the caliper and pads, and the belt is centered on the pulley. If yes, they it should work.

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

MARCE

I cannot, I'm in Italy and the wheel is in the USA.
however I'm not able to find anywhere such a round big flange. If I make a internet research, I find the same wheel with the same flange with 5 holes for both, tourings and softails, which is the following

kd

If you know the name of the manufacturer, look up the wheel and see if it's the same part number or call the company and ask them.
KD

MARCE

I solved the problem. The brake rotor is different. The touring one has the holes in different positions, wider. So the problem is the brake rotor. I'll see what to do.
Thanks for your support.
Alberto

koko3052

Maybe buying a new rotor to fit will do?

nibroc

ON MY 99 HERITAGE I have 98 ULTRA wheels on it--ya have to have an ULTRA rotor on the rear and you can keep the stock rotor on the front---the rear lines up good but the front has to be sized up a little---that means the front rotor does not center and ya have to fart with spacers----good luck to ya

Burnout

Wheel spacing needs to be looked at closely on any wheel swap.

Chain/belt alignment is critical as well as the rotor-caliper-mount interface.  :crash:
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

MARCE

Thanks guys, I found a softail wheel so I solved definitely the problem.
Thanks for your support. :chop: