March 28, 2024, 04:08:00 PM

News:

Mystery bracket next to starter

Started by SixShooter14, April 15, 2019, 09:29:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SixShooter14

Anyone know what goes here on a 1997 Road King.

It's kind of a tear drop looking bracket but has nothing attached to it that I can see. Maybe it was for the OEM exhaust?

I can take more pics if yall need.
'97 Road King, Rinehart True Dual, HSR42, 10:1, EVL3010, 2000i

hbkeith

Breeze

I'll give a guess it's a mounting plate for a crankcase vent filter.
I'm starting to believe my body is gonna outlast my mind.

SixShooter14

April 16, 2019, 10:12:27 AM #3 Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 08:13:00 PM by FSG
better pics,

thanks guys

[attach=0,msg1292725]

[attach=1,msg1292725]

Burnout

Quote from: Breeze on April 16, 2019, 03:38:06 AM
I'll give a guess it's a mounting plate for a crankcase oil collector.

TIFTFY
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

92flhtcu

Think that is a aftermarket chrome version of the OEM Exhaust mount for the rear header. The stock mount bracket is "U" shaped sorta and both starter mount bolts go through it
Need a bigger garage

Coyote

SixShooter14

Coyote, that definitely looks like the bracket, but why would it be there without the filter? Should I search for a hose that's hanging loose?

Oh, and aren't 1997 models head breathers, if so, what would this be for?

Thanks

kd

Evo head breathers puke oil when they are run hard just like TC's.  I'll bet the previous owner had a stage 1 breather on it and vented to the filter.  It looks like the filter may have broke off and or puked oil between the trans and primary case by the amount of dirt buildup in between them.  He probably swapped the stock parts back on before you got it.
KD

SixShooter14

Quote from: kd on April 16, 2019, 08:01:48 PM
Evo head breathers puke oil when they are run hard just like TC's.  I'll bet the previous owner had a stage 1 breather on it and vented to the filter.  It looks like the filter may have broke off and or puked oil between the trans and primary case by the amount of dirt buildup in between them.  He probably swapped the stock parts back on before you got it.
Thanks for the info.

Supposing the PO did have the external vent and then returned it to stock, is there anything I should check on? extra/missing hoses or fittings where the aftermarket vent went into the case? Or is it just a hose rerouted up to the intake?

There is some oil showing around the bottom of the rear cylinder, I assume it is the base gasket. But being new to this machine, I want to check everything else as well. I haven't ridden enough to measure how much oil it's lost, but it doesn't leave any drips on the concrete. Just showing fresh oil around and behind the rear cylinder.

hbkeith

just check see where your breathers hoses go , common for those filters to come unglued fall apart

92flhtcu

Need a bigger garage

SixShooter14

Thanks guys. I'm sure this won't be the end of the mysteries of buying a 22yr old rig