March 28, 2024, 03:34:20 AM

News:

Question about FXR coils and wiring

Started by Panzer71, April 24, 2019, 01:35:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Panzer71

Hi guys,

It has been a long time since I posted on this forum, though I drop by everyday to check for new topics  :smile:

Now I have run into a small challenge which I hope that some of you guys can help me with. This years upgrade on the newly acquired 1994 FXR was to change the cam and pistons, and also the ignition. I bought the Ultima single fire kit and I hope you guys could help me with understanding the wiring ... and yes, I have read the instruction sheet  :SM: My main concern is to keep my original tach working  :up:

Attached is a picture of the wiring of the original dualfire coil. I am pretty certain that the two white wires are the +12V to the coils (I will of course check that). But what are the two red/pinkish wires to (or what are they for?)?

This is what the tech sheet says: 4. Tach connection - attach the pink wire from the tach to the ignition green wire with the large (.250) blade connectors. If there is no tach,
fold the wire back into the harness sleeve.
If the bike had only one pink (or pink/black) wire at the coil, connect this to the ignition's green wire

My FXR has an original tach mounted on the handlebars and I intend to keep it  :smile: and I hope some of you experienced guys can help me understand how to connect my tach. I really suck at wires and electricity ....  :embarrassed: [attach=0]

Brgds

Panzer71

yankee dog

The diagram in the instructions is pretty clear, especially the sketch of how it should be wired:

http://www.ultimaproducts.com/53-644_Ignition.pdf
94 FXDS, EVL3010, Cycle Shack slip ons, Wiseco 8.5:1, .035 squish, ultima ign.