April 18, 2024, 06:58:50 PM

News:

Motor sitting for years

Started by Toomuchstuff, May 22, 2019, 08:35:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toomuchstuff

Hello all.

So I picked up an unfinished build that had a new S&S motor in it.  The engine had been sitting about 10 years but is brand new and unfired. 
What steps would you take before attempting to start it.  I thought about pressurizing the oil system through the oil pressure sending unit somehow but am open to better ideas. 
Thanks

Burnout

Has it had oil in it or is it dry?

I always pour a 1/2 pint of oil in the crankcase before closing up a motor so splash lube gets started immediately.

Prime it or bleed it so it gets oil right away is good, I usually just purge air bubbles from oil feed line and fire it up.

A small squirt of MMO or ATF in the cylinders for some instant top end lube, maybe.
Or if you crank for oil pressure a shot of WD40 in the intake will do as well to wet the top end.

Check the S&S tech sheet for their break-in procedure. Change oil hot at 50 miles again at 150 again at 500 miles to get the break-in trash out of the motor.
At 500 I would clean the oil tank.

Is this a flipper or a keeper, that also makes a difference.
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

Toomuchstuff

Thanks.   Great info.  I don't know if it ever had any oil in the motor.   It was an estate so there was nobody to ask. 
I am not sure if it's a keeper but either way I will do a proper break in with proper oil changes.   

It also came with a new Jim's 6 speed trans which should be less of an issue.

Toomuchstuff

Does S&S indicate a special type of oil for startup and break in?

rredneckn2

If you don't like what I say DONT read it

Pete_Vit

Quote from: rredneckn2 on May 23, 2019, 12:26:17 PM
This is what I use.
:up: I've only done 2 rebuilds, that or just any 20-50 DINO oil will do also, and don't forget the filters too
93 XLH1200 - 96 FXSTS - 2010 Ultra Glide Classic
www.facebook.com/harleypartsch

Burnout

I like the VR-1 it's not "low emmissions" oil, it has the zinc and other good stuff.

I'd use the 20w50 (for better flow) as you are not going to get it very hot breaking it in.

Ohio HD

If it's never been started, I'd drop 10w30 in there and do some heat cycles. You'll get oil everywhere quick, and you're not running it long enough doing heat cycles for viscosity to matter. Then dump that oil, and follow Burnout's advice above.

Toomuchstuff

Thanks.  Great info from all.

I checked the numbers and its a 124 inch motor. When I pulled the plug to get the flywheel numbers, what I could see looked like it was  coated with oil. 

Now I have to decide if I put it in my evo Road King, sell it or just hold onto it.

rredneckn2

Quote from: Burnout on May 23, 2019, 02:13:17 PM
I like the VR-1 it's not "low emmissions" oil, it has the zinc and other good stuff.

I'd use the 20w50 (for better flow) as you are not going to get it very hot breaking it in.
I use it for the zinc also I'm in the Deep South where it pretty much never gets cold and the straight 50 works well. Evos and Twin-cams get it here for break- in.
If you don't like what I say DONT read it

Burnout

Quote from: Toomuchstuff on May 23, 2019, 04:52:31 PM

I checked the numbers and its a 124 inch motor. When I pulled the plug to get the flywheel numbers, what I could see looked like it was  coated with oil. 

Now I have to decide if I put it in my evo Road King, sell it or just hold onto it.

Check how tall it is before planning a swap!

Pete_Vit

Quote from: Burnout on May 23, 2019, 09:32:50 PM
Quote from: Toomuchstuff on May 23, 2019, 04:52:31 PM

Check how tall it is before planning a swap!
:agree:
93 XLH1200 - 96 FXSTS - 2010 Ultra Glide Classic
www.facebook.com/harleypartsch

Toomuchstuff

May 24, 2019, 05:44:40 AM #12 Last Edit: May 24, 2019, 06:27:25 AM by Toomuchstuff
So I just got off the phone with S&S.   Apparently the motor is 4 5/8 stroke and a 3 5/8 bore which works out to a 96 inch motor. 
What is the general consensus on whether this will fit an evo touring frame.   

kd

That would have been a great question for S&S when you had them on the phone.
KD

Toomuchstuff

S&s said that it would fit the frame but I was just wondering if anyone has first hand experience as to the extent of mods required

Hossamania

The clutch will need to be addressed, you may need a better exhaust, a carberator if it does not have one, an ignition probably. You may want to think about new mounts. Your belt will be stressed.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

JW113

Why would it not fit? Far as I know, it's the same dimensions as a stock 80". My '91 was 4-5/8" stroke also, used stock cylinders.

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber