April 19, 2024, 01:14:00 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

procedure for removing battery 1983 FLH

Started by waltcentral, January 23, 2019, 08:14:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

waltcentral

Hey Bill, that is ,I believe, the same part number of the manual I have.  That part number is showing up still available from Harley.  I am going to check my service manual for those fold out diagrams.  Still winter in PA but all lights need to work for PA inspection.
If I can do a PDF copy of the wiring and send it to the staples and they could do any size I want and even laminate it.

Hossamania

I'm not sure if you need the passing lamps to work for inspection, they are not required equipment. But of course you want them working properly either way.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

billbuilds

Quote from: waltcentral on January 25, 2019, 03:30:10 PM
Hey Bill, that is ,I believe, the same part number of the manual I have.  That part number is showing up still available from Harley.  I am going to check my service manual for those fold out diagrams.  Still winter in PA but all lights need to work for PA inspection.
If I can do a PDF copy of the wiring and send it to the staples and they could do any size I want and even laminate it.

It sounds to me like you have a pretty good handle on electronics with your audio project building skills. I'm going to go out and a limb and say that my guess is that some wire connections got plugged into the wrong receptacles in the junction board in your headlight nacelle by the PO. If you do end up taking your dash off be careful not  to loose the star washers that should be between the dash base and the frame, they're there to help ground the dash base to the frame.   Bill
Anybody who tries to tell you that the press is the enemy of the people is just that.

waltcentral

With temps in the mid forties and sunny here I should have been on a short maiden voyage if it were not for running a temperature feeling like dog dirt. 
One of my passing lamps just decided to work.
When I first looked at the wiring diagram I was thinking from the battery forward instead of from the passing lamp back.

Hossamania

Quote from: waltcentral on January 27, 2019, 03:45:10 PM
With temps in the mid forties and sunny here I should have been on a short maiden voyage if it were not for running a temperature feeling like dog dirt. 
One of my passing lamps just decided to work.
When I first looked at the wiring diagram I was thinking from the battery forward instead of from the passing lamp back.

Good point. Maybe they didn't work beause they are just plain burned out.
Your volt meter is about to be your best friend.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

roadkingdresser

In pa. if the lights are on the bike ,they have to work. I do pa. inspections.

roadkingdresser

waltcentral

No power to one light. Should be easy enough unless the previous owner did not improvise too badly.