April 24, 2024, 06:51:05 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

2019 fltrxs speed restrictor?

Started by dheath9994, October 17, 2019, 09:28:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dheath9994

Friend of mine has a 2019 Fltrxs and said his bike would not go any faster once he hit 4,000rpm in 6th gear. Is this something programmed into the new bikes? He has himself convinced his clutch was "slipping" but that doesn't sound right to me in that case you'd think the RPM would continue going up.

rigidthumper

Speed limiters are built into the stock  ECM, and any SE Street Tuner maps.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

Prostock

TTS or PowerVision tuners will take the "speed" limiter out.

88b

Is it limited in all gears? Polaris used to do it in 6th with the Victory, drop down to 5th for another 20mph.

rigidthumper

It triggers the cutoff at the same speed, but different RPM depending on the gear selected. This shows 4th ( most RPM) vs 5th ( middle RPM) vs 6th ( least RPM)
They all cut off around 110 MPH +/-
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

brokenwing

My 2019 FLTRX 107 does an easy 110mph loaded with baggage and a tall windshield. If there is a speed restrictor I don't understand what the purpose would be. I understand a rev limiter.

PoorUB

Quote from: brokenwing on October 18, 2019, 02:49:59 PM
My 2019 FLTRX 107 does an easy 110mph loaded with baggage and a tall windshield. If there is a speed restrictor I don't understand what the purpose would be. I understand a rev limiter.

110 MPH, but try for 115 MPH. It won't do it unless it has been tuned.

Why is the speed limiter there? To protect you from harming yourself because you are unable to take responsibility for your own actions!

Same reason that with my new 2019 F150 the horn honks if I leave it running, and it shuts itself off after 15-20 minutes if running unattended. I am not smart enough to know it is running, I guess! :banghead:
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Panzer

:agree: if the clutch was slipping the RPM's will go up.
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

brokenwing

Quote from: PoorUB on October 18, 2019, 04:08:24 PM
Quote from: brokenwing on October 18, 2019, 02:49:59 PM

110 MPH, but try for 115 MPH. It won't do it unless it has been tuned.

Why is the speed limiter there? To protect you from harming yourself because you are unable to take responsibility for your own actions!

Same reason that with my new 2019 F150 the horn honks if I leave it running, and it shuts itself off after 15-20 minutes if running unattended. I am not smart enough to know it is running, I guess! :banghead:
I heard somewhere that sport bikes are restricted to 200mph. I guess HD had to get on the bandwagon. But 110 ? Not a big deal to me its just the mindset that HD thinks I need protected from myself.

tomcat64

Typically the speed limiter is based on the speed rating of the tire installed by the factory.. that's how it works in the car industry, not sure on MC's.

brokenwing

Quote from: tomcat64 on October 19, 2019, 07:11:25 AM
Typically the speed limiter is based on the speed rating of the tire installed by the factory.. that's how it works in the car industry, not sure on MC's.
That makes sense.

PoorUB

Quote from: brokenwing on October 19, 2019, 07:03:25 AMI heard somewhere that sport bikes are restricted to 200mph. I guess HD had to get on the bandwagon. But 110 ? Not a big deal to me its just the mindset that HD thinks I need protected from myself.

Sport bikes are limited to 176 MPH.

I don't get it either, especially on a Harley that tops out roughly at the speed they limit it to. Sport bikes? I guess 176 MPH is safer in traffic than the 190 it will do if not restricted. :hyst:
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

PC_Hater

Quote from: tomcat64 on October 19, 2019, 07:11:25 AM
Harley use H rated tyres = 130mph, chance would be a fine thing!
1942 WLA45 chop, 1999 FLTR(not I), 2000 1200S

hattitude

October 21, 2019, 08:05:35 AM #13 Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 11:34:23 AM by hattitude
On the sport bike speed limter:

"The competition to create the fastest production motorcycle ended in a truce, after just over a century of one-upmanship by motorcycle manufacturers that began with the 1894–1897 Hildebrand & Wolfmüller[1] and ended with the 1999–2000 Suzuki Hayabusa.[2][3] A gentlemen's agreement was reached among the major motorcycle manufacturers to limit the speed of their machines to 300 km/h (186 mph), starting with some 2000 models, and becoming widespread by the 2001 model year.[1][4]
After the 1999 Hayabusa sent shockwaves by exceeding the Honda CBR1100XX's record by more than 10 mph, and rumors and leaks from Kawasaki hinted that their upcoming 2000 Ninja ZX-12R would pass the 200 mph milestone, some regulators and politicians in Europe called for an import ban against high speed motorcycles.[1] There were fears that there would be, "an outbreak of illegal racing as riders try to break the 200 mph barrier."[5][6] To preempt regulation and avoid negative publicity, the manufacturers voluntarily ended the race to ever higher speeds.[1][4]"

Maybe Harley decided to enter in the gentlemen's agreement and just heard the wrong max speed....??? 

bigfoot5x

I hate when somebody tells me I cannot do something. But, it will be satisfying when I run away from somebody on a new bike with my old 103".

JMHD

The speed limiter is set by the factory after testing on a test track with all road surfaces and variables put into play that the chassis and all components  can handle before all hell breaks loose. Lol. That's what I was told by the factory anyway.