March 28, 2024, 05:52:33 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

2010 Ultra Classic General Questions

Started by Nooter99, May 28, 2019, 08:47:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nooter99

Picked the bike up a few hours ago. Man, what a difference! Did about 30 miles down the freeway on my way home. At one point I glanced at the speedo to make sure I was doing the speed limit (70mph), was doing almost 90! Where did all the wind go???
Better to die a million dollars in debt, than with a million in the bank!

Teardrop

I had to replace the following,

1. 2 Compensators. I am now on my 3rd one.
2. S&S lifters. I changed them out when I put in Woods 555 cams
3. Aftermarket exhaust and breather.
4. Power Vision Tuner
5. Had to replace the fuel filter housing when the original one cracked. This is the only thing that has left me stranded.
6. Had fretting on one of the pins in the harnes that plugs into the throttle body.

2010 Ultra Classic

Hossamania

Quote from: Nooter99 on May 30, 2019, 05:46:31 PM
Picked the bike up a few hours ago. Man, what a difference! Did about 30 miles down the freeway on my way home. At one point I glanced at the speedo to make sure I was doing the speed limit (70mph), was doing almost 90! Where did all the wind go???

Those cockpits are pretty calm. Get it set up with your own tunes, matched to a great road sometime, and it is just too much fun.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

FSG

Quote from: Nooter99 on May 30, 2019, 05:46:31 PM

Check the Docs Section for M1310B to check that the Safety Recall 145 has been done on that bike,

OR put the VIN into the HD SIP Site to check if it's done or outstanding.

=>  https://serviceinfo.harley-davidson.com/sip/vehicle/lookupForm

Billy

Quote from: Ohio HD on May 30, 2019, 10:42:54 AM
Quote from: jamminhd2000 on May 30, 2019, 10:12:14 AM
Quote from: Nooter99 on May 30, 2019, 09:49:44 AM
Quote from: les on May 30, 2019, 07:03:29 AM
Change the compensator.  They made the SE comp standard equipment on the 2011. Detachable tourpak.  If you're not riding 2-up very often, it's not to not have the bike too top heavy.  9" inch wind screen.  It's easier to see the road over it, and it still takes the air over top.  A riders back rest.  The back rest gives you comfort and more stability with your hands on the controls because you're not having to support your body with your arms.  I don't know how tall you are, but if you've got short legs, then maybe a lowering kit.  Get the connector accessory (connects under the seat) that keeps the two front passing lights on when you go to high beam.  Much better for older eyes on dark roads to have all three lights flooding the road with light.

All good info Les! Will definitely look into replacing the compensator. Tour Pak will be in the garage 90% of the time. I'll ride it for awhile to see about the windshield. Backrest will be a must with my back problems (he may already have one, if I remember correctly). I'm 6 ft, probably won't  need to lower it. The running light thing is a must have IMO. Thanks for all the info. And thanks to everyone else too.
I may be wrong but I believe se compensator was made standard in 2014 Rushmore bikes....jimmy

SE style compensator started coming on model year 2011 bikes.

2016 bikes are when HD incorporated the drip oil scoops on the inner primary cover to oil the compensator.

http://harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php?topic=67678.0
Lazyness is the Mother of Invention

Ohio HD

Quote from: Billy on June 05, 2019, 06:50:07 PM
Change the compensator.  They made the SE comp standard equipment on the 2011. Detachable tourpak.  If you're not riding 2-up very often, it's not to not have the bike too top heavy.  9" inch wind screen.  It's easier to see the road over it, and it still takes the air over top.  A riders back rest.  The back rest gives you comfort and more stability with your hands on the controls because you're not having to support your body with your arms.  I don't know how tall you are, but if you've got short legs, then maybe a lowering kit.  Get the connector accessory (connects under the seat) that keeps the two front passing lights on when you go to high beam.  Much better for older eyes on dark roads to have all three lights flooding the road with light.

All good info Les! Will definitely look into replacing the compensator. Tour Pak will be in the garage 90% of the time. I'll ride it for awhile to see about the windshield. Backrest will be a must with my back problems (he may already have one, if I remember correctly). I'm 6 ft, probably won't  need to lower it. The running light thing is a must have IMO. Thanks for all the info. And thanks to everyone else too.
I may be wrong but I believe se compensator was made standard in 2014 Rushmore bikes....jimmy

2016 bikes are when HD incorporated the drip oil scoops on the inner primary cover to oil the compensator.

Better let HD know that. They think the scoop started in 2016.

2007 to 2015 - 60553-07A COVER, PRIMARY (CHROME)

Starting in 2016 - 25700385 COVER, PRIMARY (CHROME)

I had to buy 2016 covers to upgrade my early bikes.

hattitude

Quote from: Hossamania on May 29, 2019, 04:20:03 AM
That pretty much covered it, chain tensioners, lifters (definitely do them when you do tensioners), compensator, a good tune after you do the stage 1.
Then, cams, big bore to 103, tune.

The 2010 has the newer cam plate with hydraulic cam chain tensioners.... he should be good to go with his chain tensioners...

Of course, he can always change the lifters when he adds cams.... new cams are always a good thing....!

Ohio HD

There must be an issue with why HD is showing the scoop starting in 2016, yet you are right about the Torx fastened compensator being there in the 2014 model year. Not sure why this is shown this way by the MOCO.

Billy

Quote from: Ohio HD on June 06, 2019, 03:40:45 AM

There must be an issue with why HD is showing the scoop starting in 2016, yet you are right about the Torx fastened compensator being there in the 2014 model year. Not sure why this is shown this way by the MOCO.

According to the fiche for '13-'17 FLHTK:

https://www.outpostalaska.com/OEMpartfinder

Primary cover, Chrome

2013; 60553-07
2014; 60553-07A
2015; 60553-07A
2016; 25700385
2017; 25700418

Looks like it was revised in '14 for the scoop, not sure why the new number for '16.
The '17 revision probably something for the M8.
Lazyness is the Mother of Invention

Nooter99

June 06, 2019, 06:50:06 AM #34 Last Edit: June 06, 2019, 07:02:12 AM by Nooter99
Ok, I've had the bike for a week now, very happy so far. Couple of things though.

First, neutral to first gear is very, very clunky compared to what I'm used to. Trying to remember to put it in first before starting it, but getting a minor lurch when starting. No big deal, pretty sure clutch needs a little adjustment, it engages way further out than I like anyway.

Second, suspension has bottomed out a few times, I ordered the hand pump to adjust, the guy I bought it from said he runs 12lbs, seems a little low to me, will try 20lbs and go from there.

Third, fly by wire throttle will take some getting used to. I'm gonna do a stage 1 with a Power Vision, it's my understanding I can adjust sensitivity of throttle with the PV, is that true?

And one last thing, cigarette lighter didn't work (yes, I'm a smoker). Pulled fuse box cover, no fuse in the slot. Bought a fuse, installed it, still no lighter, pulled the new fuse out, had already blew. Any suggestions on that?

Other than those few little things, I'm very happy with the bike. It will be nice to be able to ride more than a 100 miles a day without feeling like I was in the ring with Tyson the next day.

Edit: Almost forgot. The rear brake pedal has lot of travel before engaging, and then doesn't feel very effective. Pads look decent, maybe 50% left. No squeaking or grinding. They feel fine except for the excessive travel and lack of bite, But man, without the front brakes I'm not sure the bike would ever stop! They are NOT ABS. I assume bleeding is needed. What do you guys think?

Hossamania

The first gear clunk is quite normal, I'm not a fan of starting in gear, it puts an extra strain on the starter, my opinion of course. Lube the handle and adjust to your liking. Lubing the cable is not recommended as it has a Teflon liner, but I have done mine, it's working fine so far.
The shocks can be run up to 50 pounds of pressure, keep experimenting.
The throttle takes a little getting used to, I find the spring a little stiffer than my bike with cables.
Cigarette lighter probably has a short in the wiring (at the neck where it bends probably) or a bad unit itself. You'll have to pull the fairing and start testing.
You'll like the calm cockpit and comfy ride! Makes it easier to smoke....

chaos901

QuoteThey are NOT ABS. I assume bleeding is needed. What do you guys think?

Are you sure they are not ABS?    Anyway, bleeding should take care of the travel issue but in addition to bleeding the brakes I would change the brake fluid too, should be done every couple of years and it may not have ever been changed.   

added: On the clutch, if it is a hyd clutch there is no real adjustment.  That fluid needs to be changed every couple of years too. 

"There are only two truly infinite things, the universe and stupidity." AE

Nooter99

Quote from: chaos901 on June 06, 2019, 07:46:54 AM
QuoteThey are NOT ABS. I assume bleeding is needed. What do you guys think?

Are you sure they are not ABS?    Anyway, bleeding should take care of the travel issue but in addition to bleeding the brakes I would change the brake fluid too, should be done every couple of years and it may not have ever been changed.   

added: On the clutch, if it is a hyd clutch there is no real adjustment.  That fluid needs to be changed every couple of years too.

There is no Hydraulic Control Unit on the bike, so no ABS. Right?

chaos901

The control unit (if there) would be under the right side cover.  You would also have the wheel sensors on the front and rear that the axels go through.  I was thinking that all the Touring bikes had ABS by 2010, it certainly was available by 2008.   

HogMike

Quote from: chaos901 on June 06, 2019, 08:52:55 AM
The control unit (if there) would be under the right side cover.  You would also have the wheel sensors on the front and rear that the axels go through.  I was thinking that all the Touring bikes had ABS by 2010, it certainly was available by 2008.   

ABS was available on some models, was standard on cvo and limited touring models.

HOGMIKE
SoCal

Hossamania

If no abs, standard bleeding procedures apply. If abs present, it should be activated while bleeding using the proper tool to purge the abs unit.
My 2012 Limited has cable clutch, no hydraulic.

Nooter99

This may be a dumb question, but like I said before, I'm new to this bike and touring bikes in general. What's a quick way to determine if it has a hydraulic clutch? Is there something I can look for real quick, or does the cover need to come off?

chaos901

It will have a reservoir at the clutch handle for the fluid like the front brake lever does.

Nooter99

Quote from: chaos901 on June 06, 2019, 11:23:02 AM
It will have a reservoir at the clutch handle for the fluid like the front brake lever does.

Thank you sir. No reservoir. One less thing I need to learn about!

PoorUB

There is nothing to learn on a hydraulic clutch, other than to flush the fluid every  couple  years. Nothing to adjust,  pretty much  forget  it!
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

runamuck

I have an '09 ultra..very similar except no cat. converter. I put recurve windshield and detachable backrest. changed key button off gas lid to just push button. changed cams to se-255 and bought a power vision tuner. I also changed out handle bars to wider and 2" taller because I have long arms. recently replaced all wheel bearings because of so many failing. put 90* valve stems for easier airing of tires. changed out tourpak hinges to heavy duty premium ones because stock ones are weak. also changed out speakers to better, clearer sounding ones. has been a great road bike. very comfortable and motor just putts along at 70-75. the only issue I am trying to resolve is the ABS brakes evidently can fail without warning and there is no fix for them except replace with the same part. having them has saved me a cpl. times but I may have to take unit off and change lines out to end up with standard brakes. didnt think hydraulic clutches were on these bikes till about '14

tomboyjr

My 2010 Ultra was the only Harley I ever bought new. I had to order ABS. It was stock on the Limited.