April 25, 2024, 08:13:16 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Newer twincam cruisedrive gearset in early cruisedrive case.

Started by BVHOG, June 05, 2019, 07:29:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BVHOG

I have a customer with an 07 that has VERY excessive whine in 5th gear and I have been considering just swapping out to a newer gearset that uses a helical 5th. Are there any pitfalls in doing this?
If you don't have a sense of humor you probably have no sense at all.

rigidthumper

June 05, 2019, 07:36:23 AM #1 Last Edit: June 05, 2019, 07:41:53 AM by rigidthumper
IIRC there was something about a DT flash (M1330) when going from the straight cut 5th to a helical 5th, but that was the only issue.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

tommy g

Is it an 07 Bagger? I had one and the 5 gear whine drove me nuts. Installing the ids brought that racket down to a tolerable level.
09 FLSTC
85 FXEF

Breeze

I have an '07, and remember all the noisy 5th gear posts. Harley came out with the IDS (cush drive on rear wheel) on the '08's that retrofit '07's. I don't remember the details, but it was as much harmonic noise as gearset noise?  I think I bookmarked it here. Will try to find it later. :nix:
I'm starting to believe my body is gonna outlast my mind.

remington007

The new gear set drops in. In fact the old one supersedes to the new one. The bearing collar for the inner primary bearing is different. You need to flash a different speedo calibration in, TTS or PV no problem. Back in 2010 i bought the individual parts to do it on my 09.

BVHOG

Quote from: remington007 on June 10, 2019, 01:26:40 PM
The new gear set drops in. In fact the old one supersedes to the new one. The bearing collar for the inner primary bearing is different. You need to flash a different speedo calibration in, TTS or PV no problem. Back in 2010 i bought the individual parts to do it on my 09.
Thanks!  we are using PV
If you don't have a sense of humor you probably have no sense at all.