April 18, 2024, 10:52:08 PM

News:

Tire plug for flat tire

Started by Slider1950, June 05, 2019, 11:28:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slider1950

June 05, 2019, 11:28:35 PM Last Edit: June 05, 2019, 11:32:37 PM by Slider1950
Today I noticed my rear tire had a nail in it and was flat. I need to transport the bike 60 miles to my dealer to replace the tire. I have a tire plug kit and was thinking that I might try to plug the hole in the tire from the nail and transport the bike to the dealer by riding the bike to the dealer. Although I know that plugging the tire would only be a temporary repair I was just wondering if anybody has had any success in temporarly plugging a tire.

Paniolo

Yes, I've ridden on plugged tires. It was for a center puncture. Might not do it on a sidewall though.
Life can only be lived in the present moment.

Slider1950

Quote from: Paniolo on June 05, 2019, 11:58:44 PM
Yes, I've ridden on plugged tires. It was for a center puncture. Might not do it on a sidewall though.
. yeah my puncture is in center of the tire so I don't see any problem there thanks for the reply.

jmorton10

You NEVER plug a sidewall on any tire (car or bike), but I've plugged center punctures on Harley rear tires more than once with no problems.

~John
HC 124", Dragula, Pingel air shift W/Dyna Shift Minder & onboard compressor, NOS

Breeze

I've seen tire plugs go till the tread was gone.  :slap  A lot depends on the quality of the prep & repair, and the quality and type of plug material.  I'm a "get it to the shop or home" kinda guy for plugs.
I'm starting to believe my body is gonna outlast my mind.

smoserx1

Yes I have done it twice thinking like you it would be temporary.  Both repairs lasted the life of the tire.  I have done my car tires a few times as well and the last time I plugged a car tire it failed.  I don't recommend it but it can work.  The plugs I used were the stringy kind with the adhesive interwoven in.  Good luck and don't go any closer to the sidewall than an inch.

twincamzz

June 06, 2019, 04:22:58 AM #6 Last Edit: June 06, 2019, 03:36:12 PM by FSG
I use the stop n go tire plug kit and have never had a problem. The mushroom plugs that come with the kit are way better than the stringy type IMO. Have installed these and got complete wear out of the tire.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Stop-Go-International-Pocket-Tire-Plugger-for-Tubeless-Tires.........
not all who wander are lost...

Boe Cole

Plugged many rear tires and they last till the tire is done.  If the problem is the sidewall, that is another story.  Have plugged a nail hole and rode it to get a new tire as that is not safe.  I do not like plugging front tires either but will do it in a pinch to get to the indy for a new tire.  I may be anal about front tires but when they go bad quickly, things can get dicey very quickly as well.
We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.

calbyker69

I plugged a rear tire on a RoadKing I had just picked up a couple days earlier. Tires where pretty worn and dried out so figured it would only be a month or so. Lasted a year and when I went to have them replaced the guy asked if I needed tubes too? What, they have tubes? Had run mags for so long I forgot that spoke wheels had tubes. LOL that plugged should never had worked but it did.

Pirsch Fire Wagon

I too use the Stop-N-Go Tire Plugs. While I have used them only until I can get a Tire, I have plugged many tires in my Shop. Preparation seems to be the key in performance. Of the four or five I've done in the past year or so there were no issues. I ONLY plug when the need is in the center of the tire and its a "clean" puncture.
Tom

tomcat64

I plugged a tire in Faith SD for my buddy Delmar a couple of years ago on our way home from the Rally, all we were trying to do was get to Aberdeen so he could replace the tire, (not much for bike shop options in Faith SD) 11 miles from the shop in Aberdeen the tire came completely apart, luckily my buddy, Delmar, didn't go down. My thinking is that he had ridden the tire with very little air in it for several miles before we plugged it and the tire got way too hot. Now I know why our shop will not plug a tire..

bigfoot5x

I know lots of dealers will not plug a tire. I also know that I talked to a Dunlop Rep in Milwaukee one time. The Dunlop Rep made it clear that their position is that a tire can be plugged or patched and does not have to be replaced. He did recommend the mushroom type of plug be used if possible.

I brought up the question because I had a new tire with less than 1000 miles catch a nail. The dealer insisted on replacing so it was replaced. I have not been in that circumstance since that time. My wife or I have had a couple of flats since that time but there were enough miles on the tire that it did not bother me to replace it. If it were to happen to a new tire, I think I would try a plug and monitor it closely.

smoserx1

I don't blame the dealer for not plugging it.  If the tire were to fail for any reason the business that plugged it would be the easiest legal target to go after regardless of the fault.  Maybe the guy never monitored the air pressure or rode the tire with a slick tread in the rain.  Doesn't matter, a good attorney can make that dealership look culpable to a judge or jury whose members likely know nothing about mechanics or motorcycles.  Not worth the risk to the business.  If I plug my own tire, the consequences are on me.

scootertrash1

Been there done it, but only on the face of the tire. You probably won't find a dealer to do it!

FSG

scott7d

Just had a flat rear on a 5000+ mile trip. Clean puncture right in the center when I was on the interstate. Talk about an uneasy feeling at 80mph!

Luckily I packed plugs and my buddy packed a compressor. Rode 40 miles to the nearest dealer and got a new shoe on. Crisis averted!
Scott Matlock - Bloomington, IN
Iron Butt Rider #72408 - Facebook: The Hoosier Cruiser