April 19, 2024, 03:30:05 AM

News:

Limp Mode Reset...

Started by codyshop, June 06, 2019, 07:46:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

codyshop

I fixed the issue causing it to go into limp mode (bad twist grip sensor) and just want to confirm that it's three on-off ignition cycles before starting.   Some sources say three on-offs while the throttle is held twisted past closed.  Thanks in advance. 

chaos901

There is a time component too which I believe is 30 seconds ON, 30 seconds OFF (repeat three times).   
"There are only two truly infinite things, the universe and stupidity." AE

Coyote

AFAIK, nothing needs to be done. I've repaired a couple of bikes in limp mode and never had to reset anything. However the manual does give a procedure to check and see if all issues are resolved after repair.

1. DTC P1510, P1511, P1512 Verification
Test
1. Clear DTCs using odometer self-diagnostics. See
2.1 INITIAL DIAGNOSTICS, Odometer Self-Diagnostics.
2. Start and run the engine for a few seconds.
3. Cycle the engine on and off, for a few seconds each time
a total of three times.
4. Did DTC P1510, P1511, or P1512 set with no other DTCs?
a. Yes. Replace the ECM. See the service manual.
b. No. (Other DTCs set.) See DTC priority table.
c. No. (No DTCs set.) DTC was properly cleared.

Ohio HD

My experience as well, the system clears the fault when the problem is resolved. Only thing remaining is history faults, but they don't cause a check engine light. If the light still comes on, it's not fixed.

chaos901

My last time in Limp Mode was a broken ground wire to the connector at the throttle body.  No amount of resetting was going to fix that one but I tried a bunch of times.   
"There are only two truly infinite things, the universe and stupidity." AE

Langwilliams

I thought the switch cycling was for the ecm to learn a new tbw twist sensor. turn it on an off 3 or 4 times waiting ten seconds between turning it off then back on.