March 28, 2024, 06:45:56 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

octane/ethanol question

Started by jmorton10, June 10, 2019, 06:19:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmorton10

First, the only station in my area that sold premium that was ethanol free stopped carrying it.  That left nothing available except 93 octane but it was 10% ethanol.

Now, they started re-carrying the ethanol free premium except now it's only 90 octane.  So now it's ethanol 93 octane or no ethanol 90 octane.   I'm sure the ethanol free is the better choice, but does anyone know how bad ethanol really is??

~John
HC 124", Dragula, Pingel air shift W/Dyna Shift Minder & onboard compressor, NOS

smoserx1

I have heard the problem with ethanol is short shelf life.  If you ride frequently it should not be a problem.  I haven't had any problem with it as long as it is 10% or less.  I can get 89 ethanol free and I use that too in my bike.  It runs fine.  I try to get this fuel for outdoor power equipment because might not get used up as fast.  Don't want it gumming things up.

chopper

I've run nothing but 10% Ethanol, 87 octane in my 02 since new. Set up the carb  in 03 and haven't touched the carb since. I suppose if you let it sit for a long time, it'll gum up, but I never had it with my bike.
  Now in damn near everything else, I've had goo and gummed up jets, but only when they sit.
Got a case of dynamite, I could hold out here all night

chaos901

I've never had an issue (unless you count reduced MPG) using 10% in my bikes. 
"There are only two truly infinite things, the universe and stupidity." AE

JW113

I think since the invention of gasoline, it goes bad if it sets for any length of time. I used to scrape some nasty crap out float bowls after the winter hibernation during the leaded gas days. I think the only concern with any ethanol blend is to make sure the plastic/rubber parts (fuel lines, O rings, floats) are compatible with alcohol.

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

carolinayarddog

I've run 87 for years on two different touring bikes; only issue i've noticed is pinging in hot weather

Paniolo

June 11, 2019, 02:05:52 PM #6 Last Edit: June 11, 2019, 02:42:55 PM by Paniolo
What about this method of removing the ethanol from the gas?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdDEL7WLN5U

Has anyone experience with this method?
Life can only be lived in the present moment.

q1svt

June 11, 2019, 02:37:41 PM #7 Last Edit: June 11, 2019, 02:47:06 PM by q1svt
Quote from: jmorton10 on June 10, 2019, 06:19:30 PM
I'm sure the ethanol free is the better choice, but does anyone know how bad ethanol really is??

~John
Other than storage & it generally does not make as much HP...

You just need to tune for it [or what ever fuel you run]

Here is an article from Hot Rod about it and there is a very good table near the end for comparison...  bottomline the more ethanol you run more fuel the motor needs to be equal'ish

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/wideband-oxygen-sensor/

Use Pure Gasoline Stoichiometric   A/F ratio of 14.7 as a baseline to compare...
Greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge.

smoserx1

QuoteWhat about this method of removing the ethanol from the gas?

No thank you.

Rusticwater

Quote from: Paniolo on June 11, 2019, 02:05:52 PM

Didn't watch the whole thing, just skipped through it. Looks pretty neat, quite the chemistry experiment. He does that for the old Indian in the background?
Support the Maine lobster industry

Paniolo

Quote from: Rusticwater on June 11, 2019, 03:59:52 PM
Quote from: Paniolo on June 11, 2019, 02:05:52 PM

Didn't watch the whole thing, just skipped through it. Looks pretty neat, quite the chemistry experiment. He does that for the old Indian in the background?

Yes. The Indians older internals and valve train does not take well to ethanol infused gas.
Life can only be lived in the present moment.

JW113

Well that's interesting. Mine has lived on it for 25 years, no problems yet. I'm curious why you think that, though. The innards of an old Indian are not that much different than the innards of modern HD. Iron and aluminum.
:nix:

Why all the worry about ethanol? It's an octane enhancer. 113 iso-octane, to be precise. Yes, it has less chemical energy per unit volume than gasoline, but at 10%, not enough to even give a passing thought about.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gasoline_gallon_equivalent

But I get it. Some people thrive on worring about nothing. Like what kind of oil they use.
:SM:

-JW

Hossamania

It's not the ethanol that's really a problem with the old Indians, it's the lack of lead.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

PoorUB

Quote from: smoserx1 on June 11, 2019, 03:46:49 PM
QuoteWhat about this method of removing the ethanol from the gas?

No thank you.

Seems like a lot of screwing around when he can drive 40 miles down the road and buy non-ethanol fuel.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Moparnut72

The nearest non-ethanol fuel for me is about 300 miles away, except for maybe Nevada.. It is only available at a couple of marinas, but I don't think they will let me ride on on the dock to fuel up. Then there is the problem of turning around.    :hyst:
kk
If you find yourself in a fair fight,
You didn't prepare properly.

JW113

Quote from: Hossamania on June 11, 2019, 07:37:45 PM
It's not the ethanol that's really a problem with the old Indians, it's the lack of lead.

Stainless steel valves helps on that front.

-JW

fbn ent

Up here all Shell Gold is ethanol free 91. It's all I run unless I can't find one when I need gas.
'02 FLTRI - 103" / '84 FLH - 88"<br />Hinton, Alberta

ViseGrips

click on your Province or State for ethanal free gas .. https://www.pure-gas.org/

smoserx1

When I bought my bike in 99 and commuted to wwork in the winter I would occasionally get carburetor icing.  The conditions had to be just right (usually 35-40°F and high relative humidity.  It only occurred a few times per winter but was very obvious when it did (fuel odor from exhaust, poor idle, stalling, low power).  Get to work with the bike running like  total crap and in the afternoon it ran like a champ.  About 2005 was when all the stations all started carrying the ethanol laced gasoline.  I never had the icing issue after that.  Since I bought the bike I have changed the fuel lines several times, overhauled the carburetor once, replaced the vacuum piston in the carburetor a few times and replaced the sending unit 3 or 4 times.  I have just never found anything that would indicate damage from this stuff.  Yes I would rather have 100% gasoline but I am not going to worry about it.

Hossamania

John (OP), I would try the 90 octane ethynol free, if it works without the motor pinging, that's what I would run. If it pings a bit, back to the 93.

wood02

Friend use to deliver gasoline to several different stations.  Fuel would come in by barge and unloaded into tanks for storage.  He would get a call and take a semi tankard (7200 gallon) load it with gasoline and the ingredients required by the particular station...he said all the gasoline was the same...just different additives to make it what was called for.  He actually added these ingredients. I do not think he was pulling my leg.  Who can know for sure what we get from the pump and the quality.  I have always been skeptical.  Something else to "wonder" ?

Lone Ranger

Since MTBE was banned they have to use some ethanol just as an octane enhancer.

rbabos

Removing the ethanol is nothing new but I'm quite sure it's part of the octane equation in the fuel. As Hoss pointed out lack of lead is the issue with the old school valve seats. Any zinc or old style hoses and possibly floats won't fair well with ethanol either.
Ron

Hossamania

My buddie has an old '47 Indian, engine rebuilt in the late 70's, so it may or may not have hardened valve guides to cope with the unleaded fuel, but the problem he has is that the carb will stick if he doesn't use lead additive, which of course helps the valves too. But the other problem he has is that ethanol free fuel is usually higher octane around here, and that motor prefers a lower octane since it is about about 7.5/1 compression ratio, making a whopping 11 horsepower out of an 80" motor, according to the owners manual. That manual is the size of a pocket notebook and is 7 pages total.
It is truly a one kick bike. Runs fantastic, he still rides it on a regular basis.
I think this is a '46, his is the same, black seat, just didn't have that pic.

HogMike

In my older bikes I just added a little MM oil to the gas, seemed to work fine.
My 65 has been all over the western states over the years, never had a problem with the stock valve seats. My other bikes I never ran that hard, but never had a problem with the low compression motors.

JME
:missed:
HOGMIKE
SoCal