April 25, 2024, 07:55:43 AM

News:

Pipe heat on saddlebags

Started by sbaumann14, June 15, 2019, 06:53:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sbaumann14

Ok,   so i took off the fishtails on my 03 FLSTSC and put on a pair of V&H long big shots.  Got em for a great price, had em on my 99 FLSTC and thought I'd give em a try.  Worried about the fit where the underside of the saddlebag is about 1/4 " above the pipe.
  Was thinking of gluing strips of aluminum foil under the bag or maybe a strip or two of pipe heat wrap. 

Anyone else encounter this problem?

Evo160K

Used heat wrap under the bag for a while, but it tended to scratch the pipe.  1/4" piece of grain leather pop riveted to the bag works good, been on for years.  Also have a piece laying loose in the bag to protect the contents... just in case.

jls 64

[attach=0] blip.glue and sewing
js

guido4198

With so little clearance, You'll want to watch for sagging once things heat up.  :oops: I had a set of custom bags made up with that kind of clearance ( actually.. a little more) when first put on the bike. Unfortunately, after riding a while, loaded and unloaded, I had the very unpleasant experience of having the right side bag ignite and burn while I was running 70 mph or so down I-95.  :emoGroan:
Fortunately... I was able to remain calm enough to ignore the burning sensation on the bottom of my right thigh get her safely onto the shoulder, and get the fire put out before it spread past that one bag.  :up:

dablaze

Just a thought, as I have not had the need to mess in this area, but is there any play in the mounts on the bags? Could you maybe shin down the exhaust further up front a bit? I like the idea of adding aluminum to the underside of the bag...like a heat sync. There are extra thick aluminum foils. I would consider riding a bit with a thermometer in the bottom of the bag before and after adding aluminum to see if it helps.

Craig
Second Shift Cycle

1workinman

Quote from: jls 64 on June 16, 2019, 09:29:05 PM
[attach=0,msg1302868] blip.glue and sewing
That what I was going to suggest or mineral or ceramic wool .  I use fire blanket to lay over cable trays or any thing I don't want on fire when I use to cut out valves or what ever we were working on . Welding in valves or structure work . Part of a hot work permit . A while back I was told right or wrong that the flight recorder box was insulated in high temp silicone among other things .Not sure about that but I used it on equipment that got very hot several hundred degrees and not burn out . A combination of high temp silicone and the fire blanket might do the trick lol