April 18, 2024, 07:22:12 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Clutch Pack / Spring

Started by Pirsch Fire Wagon, June 16, 2019, 08:48:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pirsch Fire Wagon

June 16, 2019, 08:48:38 PM Last Edit: June 16, 2019, 09:06:29 PM by PIRSCH FIRE WAGON
2014 XL1200C 13,000 Miles - No Maintenance! Customer purchased in January and has been ridging it. First Motorcycle.

Motorcycle "walks" forward at idle in-gear with Clutch Disengaged. Will NOT find neutral when running! Required excessive effort to shift.

Shifts smoothly when Engine of off - No noises or other symptomatic problems throughout the process.

1. Found Idle 2,000 RPM's - Adjusted to 1,000

2.  What I have done:

Changed Fluid
Adjusted Primary Chain
Adjusted Clutch

No change.

I'm thinking the Clutch Pack and Spring is FUBAR because on no maintenance and excessive Idle. Hopefully it hasn't destroyed the Basket.

Any other ideas?

Tom
Tom

FSG

Pirsch Fire Wagon

2014 XL1200C 13,000 Miles - No Maintenance! Customer purchased in January and has been ridging it. First Motorcycle.

Motorcycle "walks" forward at idle in-gear with Clutch Disengaged. Will NOT find neutral when running! Required excessive effort to shift.

Shifts smoothly when Engine of off - No noises or other symptomatic problems throughout the process.

1. Found Idle 2,000 RPM's - Adjusted to 1,000

2.  What I have done:

Changed Fluid
Adjusted Primary Chain
Adjusted Clutch

No change.

I'm thinking the Clutch Pack and Spring is FUBAR because on no maintenance and excessive Idle. Hopefully it hasn't destroyed the Basket.

Any other ideas?

Tom

Tom

K4FXD

Just a guess, but I think the adjustment was not done correctly. It shouldn't "walk" in gear if it is.

I've never had a HD that was easy to find neutral. Some are easier than others, but none slip in like butter.

What fluid are you using?

I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery

Pirsch Fire Wagon

He had put +1. When i changed it I used Spectro Primary 85 W Syn

This thing walks, like its in the friction zone. Without the Brake it would go on down the road disengaged. Can't shift it sitting still. I considered a damaged Shift Fork, but it is smooth as silk with the engine off on a lift with the rear wheel being turned - Sounds perfect. This is not a minor Tug/Walk due to kinetic energy.
Tom

Pirsch Fire Wagon

Just an update - Spring Pack Grenade. Forgot all about the Older Clutch styles. I'll put a Barnett in and it will be a permanent repair.
Tom