March 28, 2024, 03:46:37 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Buell Blast shortage?

Started by Snorth, November 02, 2008, 03:44:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snorth

Went into my local HD shop and ordered my 18 yr old a new Buell Blast since he wants to learn how to ride.  When I ordered it, I put 3k down and they told me it would arrive at the dealership in 2 days.  Well the 2 days became 2 weeks and then they called me and told me it was going to be 2 months.  Anyone have a clue what's going on?  It shouldn't take 2 months to get a starter bike.  And why can't they get one form another dealer?

Snorth

panhead_dan

The next few months of Blast production has been dedicated to updating the Fleet of Riders Edge units. There will be some deals to be had on those defleeted units.

decommissioned Blasts were being sold for $2500

coppied from another site. dated today. The first statement is from a salesman in a dealership who is in the know.
Dan.

Snorth

Doesn't that just seem to be totally stupid on the MoCo's part?  We won't let you have a new bike for a few months, but we'll sell you this slighly used bike for half price.  At this rate I'm going to cancel my order and buy a honda

panhead_dan

Honda makes several models that would be good starter bikes for an 18 year old.

mark61

Absolutley have to be brand new?  Those "decommisioned" Blasts selling for half price are probably the best cared for used bikes you will ever find! I would love to snag one of them!

mark61

Snorth

If I could have found a used one I'd have bought it first.  Sadly the more I look, the better the Blast looks for a first bike when you consider price, warranty, quality, etc.  I hate to do it, but I just might wait the two months  :'(

bigdog_tim

Back in 2003, there was the same "shortage". I bought a de-commissioned Blast for my son as a HS Graduation gift. The bike had about 3,000 miles on it, a few scratches on the plastics, a couple of minor dings, etc.

He now has 38,000 miles on it and loves it! All we have done to the bike is routine maintenance.

1-Lonewolf

My son this past year took the course and after seeing how some riders treat them, there is a reason they sell them for half price? Also, they are a hard bike to resell, another friend bought his wife one and ended up sitting on it for almost 1 1/2 years trying to sell it. Not that the Blast is not a great starter bike, but I would by your son a used Honda for the same kind of money or less knowing your will get that back when you want to resell it. We did, we bought a used 1985 Honda Nighthawk 650, works great as a starter bike then I sold it in one week getting all I had into it and more. Just my 2 cents worth.

PoorUB

Quote from: 1-Lonewolf on November 06, 2008, 02:12:59 PM
Not that the Blast is not a great starter bike, but I would by your son a used Honda for the same kind of money or less knowing your will get that back when you want to resell it. We did, we bought a used 1985 Honda Nighthawk 650, works great as a starter bike then I sold it in one week getting all I had into it and more. Just my 2 cents worth.

I bought a '85 Honda Magne V30 a few years back. Bought it for $1400, put 5,000 miles on it in a year, and sold it for $1500. Changed the oil on it a couple times and just rode it.
I am not sure I would buy a Blast for a starter bike when used jap bikes are cheap, available, and very dependable. After the kid gets a year or two of riding in, then buy a new whatever he wants.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Snorth

Just to follow up, the blast arrived 6 weeks to the day after I ordered it.  Per the salesman they stole the bike from a shipment headed for the riders edge classes for their sister store.  He also told me that Crystal River HD will not sell Buells starting in 2009.