April 18, 2024, 04:30:11 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Satellite Radio Antenna Placement

Started by DGlide04, December 09, 2018, 04:50:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGlide04

I have a home/vehicle Sirius/XM radio and would like to occasionally use on my Road King when I take a trip, not looking for a permanent installation.  When on the bike I'll use a handlebar cradle mount but here's my question, is there a "best" place to mount the satellite antenna?  I can get a unit that goes inside the faring on the bike or an external antenna attached to the rear luggage mount on the bike?

Like I said, the home/car unit will be used only when I take a trip with the King, not being installed full time.  The SAT unit is an Onyx unit that can be transferred from a cradle in the car to the house, etc. 

Thanks.

Nebraskarider1

I don't think there is a place thats 100% perfect.I made a little bracket that slides on the antenna on my Ultra. Occasionally I think my body blocks the signal, but not often

Pirsch Fire Wagon

They sell a Motorcycle Specific Bracket and Antenna with a 5" Lead to the Receiver. $49 ..... IIRC. Mounts to the Pirch Screws.

Edit: https://www.cruisingwithtunes.net/xm_dock_and_play_second_vehicle__kit.html  $39.00
Tom

PoorUB

I have never had great reception with the little magnetic antenna.  I bought  one of these,

https://express.google.com/u/0/product/7302064259166503135_8194917662216088638_117352056?utm_source=google_shopping&utm_medium=tu_cu&utm_content=eid-lsjeuxoeqt&gtim=CMPAleuezZXnhwEQjffLpMDVw6irARiwwoISIgNVU0QooJ_A4QUw-Mz6Nw&utm_campaign=117352056&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI4bjPh62g3wIVBAppCh2qwArVEAQYAiABEgK-UfD_BwE

And it works better than anything else I have tried.  Only short comings is the long coax cable, and the mount. I tossed  the mount that came with it and made my own and pulled the excess coax cable into the fairing. I considered cutting the cable and buying  a new plug but never got that far.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!