April 19, 2024, 04:02:55 PM

News:

Camshaft Clearance ?

Started by johncr, February 12, 2019, 10:43:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johncr

Does anyone know from experience if a stock 2006 Road Glide case has enough clearance in the cam chest for S&S .675 camshafts?

Thanks,
John

doctorevil

I have clearance 88 cases for mackie 630 cams. I would also check the rocker boxes. Cams are easy insert and rotate to get .040 with a feeler gauge. I know two different cams with the with the same lift, but ground on different base circles effect clearance.

koko3052

I would never take anyones word for it...ALWAYS check your own clearances...then you are sure!  :wink:

prodrag1320

Quote from: koko3052 on February 12, 2019, 08:52:46 PM
I would never take anyones word for it...ALWAYS check your own clearances...then you are sure!  :wink:

100% agree`d.ive had cases that needed clearancing,then the same cams in different cases that didn't.i would thing .675 would need clearancing on the lifter side even if their ok on the pinion bearing side but I think you`ll find they need clearancing on both sides

No Cents

Quote from: koko3052 on February 12, 2019, 08:52:46 PM

x3   :agree:  100%   ...take nothing for granted. Check...then re-check to be absolutely sure on all clearances.
08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

les

I've had to clearance 88" cam chest for a .625 lift cam.  I would say no way a .675 will fit without clearance. 

johncr

Excellent points gentlemen!
Just what I needed.

Thanks,
John

jjdalynh

Quote from: les on February 13, 2019, 07:56:24 AM
I've had to clearance 88" cam chest for a .625 lift cam.  I would say no way a .675 will fit without clearance.

i had to clearance my 88" chest for a .590 cam.  took it out far enough for a .650 though 'cause, you know, you never know.... :wink:

Hillside Motorcycle

I built a tool that holds a brazed carbide tool bit, that locates off the inner cam bearings, and a bushing in a plate that is mounted to the cam chest face, that "bores" the clearence.
One for Shovel/Evo, and another for T/C's.
If you run it in the wrong direction, it will knock the brazed tool bit off the tool..... :smilep:
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

Buglet

Zippers has the same style tools plus they have them to do the XL's . I wonder if they copy them from Hillside.

Hillside Motorcycle

No,
I built a variation of theirs.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

Armin

You can get a fine cam relief tool from George`s Garage. I wrapped four layers of duct tape around the cam thus extending the lobe tip by .03 in. The Wood TW9BG cam needed a bit of clearancing which I achieved with the tool from GeorgeĀ“s. Engine case is a 2001 TC88B.

Armin.
Nothing can ruin a Man's day faster than an Almost-Takeoff!

Hillside Motorcycle

Actually, a die grinder works very well without added costs, for those that only occasionally need to clear for a large lobe.

koko3052

Quote from: Hillside Motorcycle on March 13, 2019, 04:47:02 AM
Actually, a die grinder works very well without added costs, for those that only occasionally need to clear for a large lobe.

Die grinder, a steady hand, some earplugs to block off the oil ports, good duct tape to tape over the inner cam bearing holes and a cup of diesel or some WD-40 to lube the bit so that the aluminum doesn't plug it up. :up: