Adhesive for oil tray screamin eagle compensator 42200064

Started by snowangel, March 15, 2019, 05:48:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

snowangel

Adhesive for attaching the oil tray to the outer primary not included .                                                                             What should I use?

Tynker

Earl "Tynker" Riviere

Dmerch

JB Weld has been holding mine rock solid for years. I'd have no qualms about using it.
As a side note, that tray you're gluing in does seem to work. I had my compensator out last month, very little wear after 43k miles. Much better than the first comp without the tray.

PoorUB

One more vote for JB Weld. Scuff up the inside of the primary and the back of the plastic scoop, hose it down with brake clean, then glue it on.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Ancient

And again JB. I had my primary off recently for some clutch issues and the little tray was right where I put it several years ago. As mentioned above make sure you give the surfaces a good scuff and clean.
Greg

remington007

I also use JB Weld, have for years without a single issue. The original has a higher temp resistance verses the quick dry,
550 to 300 degrees.

hogpipes1

black

Quote from: hogpipes1 on March 15, 2019, 12:38:55 PM
Can you buy just the tray from H-D .?
Yes you can Board tracker has the online for 10 bucks
send  lawyers guns and money

PoorUB

Quote from: remington007 on March 15, 2019, 12:29:21 PM
I also use JB Weld, have for years without a single issue. The original has a higher temp resistance verses the quick dry,
550 to 300 degrees.

I doubt the primary will ever see 300F. Long ride on a hot day maybe 200F or a few degrees over. Either way all I ever use is the original JB.

snowangel

Thanks to all  :up: I will use jb weld . Maybe I can keep it going for another 140,000 mi.

Norton Commando

Why not use the same adhesive that HD uses?

Lord Maxlok MX/T6 is what HD uses for the installation of the oil tray, so that's what I used.  I purchased some from Chembar about three months or so ago.

Best,

Jason
Remember, you can sleep in your car, but you can't drive your house.

PoorUB

Because JB works great, is readily available, and cheap!

Norton Commando

PoorUB

Out of curiosity, how much did you pay for the Lord Maxlok MX/T6, and did you need to buy a "gun" to apply it?

Norton Commando

March 16, 2019, 04:49:43 AM #14 Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 05:09:27 AM by Norton Commando
Quote from: PoorUB on March 15, 2019, 06:59:21 PM
Out of curiosity, how much did you pay for the Lord Maxlok MX/T6, and did you need to buy a "gun" to apply it?

The Maxlok adhesive was USD 22.50. And yes I did buy the gun to apply it, but I think you could get by without it if you'er fast. You see the gun dispenses and mixes the two parts as you apply the adhesive to the target area. Without the gun you would have to dispense both parts to a board, mix the two and then apply it to the target area. The stuff dries/hardens much quicker than JB weld. So my concern is that the extra time required to mix the two parts manually may cause the adhesive to setup before you can apply it properly.   

Jason

Chippitt68

March 16, 2019, 07:55:34 AM #15 Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 12:14:29 PM by Chippitt68
My local dealers service dept did it for me. I bought the comp there and guilted them into gluing it in for me.

PoorUB

Quote from: Norton Commando on March 16, 2019, 04:49:43 AM
Quote from: PoorUB on March 15, 2019, 06:59:21 PM

The Maxlok adhesive was USD 22.50. And yes I did buy the gun to apply it, but I think you could get by without it if you'er fast.

Thanks, I was curious to the price and I knew the gun was more or less a requirement. $5 for JB looks like the way to go for the one time user!

Ohio HD

Or you can score an almost new late model take off chrome outer primary like I did for 100 skins each. Bought two, one for each bike. my 2008 still uses the original design SE compensator with the GMR compensavor. I suspect that one will live forever.

I never have to give a thought to, will the tray fall off, will I break it, etc.

Hossamania

Quote from: Ohio HD on March 16, 2019, 08:48:52 AM
Or you can score an almost new late model take off chrome outer primary like I did for 100 skins each. Bought two, one for each bike. my 2008 still uses the original design SE compensator with the GMR compensavor. I suspect that one will live forever.

I never have to give a thought to, will the tray fall off, will I break it, etc.

What year did they go to the built-in tray?
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

PoorUB

I am not too concerned of it falling off, and I doubt it will. The primary chain will eat it for lunch if it does and I doubt it would do any damage. Have you seen pics of broken primary tensioner shoes. Tears them right up! Next oil chance you will find funny looking chunks of plastic in the oil and pull the cover.

I haven't heard of anyone having a glue in fall off.

Ohio HD

Quote from: Hossamania on March 16, 2019, 08:54:51 AM
Quote from: Ohio HD on March 16, 2019, 08:48:52 AM

What year did they go to the built-in tray?

Let me help with that search.

https://harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php?topic=97913.0

Hossamania

If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

Ohio HD

Quote from: PoorUB on March 16, 2019, 08:57:36 AM
I am not too concerned of it falling off, and I doubt it will. The primary chain will eat it for lunch if it does and I doubt it would do any damage. Have you seen pics of broken primary tensioner shoes. Tears them right up! Next oil chance you will find funny looking chunks of plastic in the oil and pull the cover.

I haven't heard of anyone having a glue in fall off.

If it does fail in some way, by the time you know it, the new compensator is worn from lack of oil, just like the originals SE compensator wore. I put things together to stay that way, if at all possible. 

smoserx1

QuoteSo my concern is that the extra time required to mix the two parts manually may cause the adhesive to setup before you can apply it properly.   

Won't happen with the original JB weld.  It sets up slow and is the strongest adhesive I have ever used hands down.