April 18, 2024, 06:42:29 AM

News:

Baker Tranmission Upgrade

Started by Ohio HD, November 22, 2018, 04:36:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ohio HD

Here's my current gearing and what I'll have with the Baker Grudgebox, and with the rear drive chain gearing I have to install. 1st, 2nd and 3rd gears are just a touch lower, and 4th, 5th and 6th are just a touch higher. Almost like I've been planning this.....   

Main difference will be a solid transmission again, and tougher. Also with the chain drive, and when the S&S 640's and higher compression pistons go in as well, I'll actually be able to really beat on it. I've actually not rang it out really hard as the transmission is a bit soft with almost 70k hard miles, and the rear belt would snap if I really hammered it.

[attach=0]

[attach=1]

No Cents

it will definitely be a wheelie machine with that gearing.    :chop:
08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

HighLiner

I did the 24/51 rear gearing and feel the GrudgeBox "strip" gear ratios really tamed the bike down to the point it's sort of boring again.

Ohio HD

I want to keep things about where they are now. First three are a bit lower which will help acceleration, last three are almost the same as now, but a touch higher. With the 49 tooth clutch shell, and the rear wheel 55 tooth, I think it'll be a good setup for me.

Ohio HD

Updated the sheet to calculate the RPM change difference, and the gear ratio changes, those shown in percent change.

[attach=0]

Kllongbrake

Ohio, would this be a similar ratio change with a game changer comp and a grudgebox VS a 49tooth clutch basket and grudgebox?

Ohio HD

JohnCA58

I ran the Baker 6sp OD box with 24 frt 51 sprocket with the 3.37 primary,  1:1 5th gear gave me 3.37 and final OD gave me 3:15 final   was a great set up.
YOLO

Kllongbrake

Ohio HD

Next to no difference. Left is 49 tooth, right is game changer.

[attach=0]

Kllongbrake

anImel

November 27, 2018, 09:12:21 AM #11 Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 09:34:45 AM by anImel
Similar case here, I thought the GrudgeBox was too soft with stock primary/secondary. I added a game Changer and felt it improved at 3.05. But since added 54 rear sprocket for 3.23 and I feel it helps out if the hole yet doesn't overdue it up top on the highway.

N-gin

Awesome.
Looks like the gearing I'm looking for. Let us know how it feels when you get some miles on her.
I'm not here cause of a path before me, Im here cause of the burnout left behind

Ohio HD

One of two Baker shipments arrive, the 33715-85SA truss style shift lever assembly came today. This are really made well. Just need the transmission to put it on now.

[attach=0]

skunk

Ohio, That is indeed a nice looking unit, I was looking at one, but didn't order one yet. Waiting on the DD7 I ordered form my local indy. I tried the stress of doing Bakers BF last year and missed(wound up doing their Trap door to get me thru the year). This year I just told my Indy to order and price it to me how he needed (treats me way more than fair but needs to eat also). After looking at your shifter you received I think I will have him add it to his next order. 08 RG,  Stock gearing( 32/66 rear) slightly high for mountains and trailer towing even with the 117. Last season I ran 31/68 but with the lower 1st in the DD7 and the spacing I am thinking of going back to the 32/66. Thoughts?

Ohio HD

I think that would be a good idea. Your first six gears will be lower overall than with the HD six speed and stock gearing. And seventh will be the same as OEM gearing with the HD sixth gear.

[attach=0]

Ohio HD

December 01, 2018, 04:59:13 PM #16 Last Edit: December 01, 2018, 05:15:03 PM by Ohio HD
Side by side, this is what the overall drive train gearing looks like.

[attach=0,msg1269568]

jmorton10

The DD7 gearing is just about perfect IMHO.

I put one in my 07 RK after ripping six teeth off of 3rd gear in the POS cruise drive tranny.

The difference the DD7 ratios make is huge.  Before I blew the stock tranny, I was trying to decide what gearing change I should make to lower the lower gears so it didn't feel like I was always starting in 2nd gear.

With the DD7 that problem was solved without having to loose the stock top gear for high speed cruising.

~John
HC 124", Dragula, Pingel air shift W/Dyna Shift Minder & onboard compressor, NOS

skunk

Ohio,
    Thank you for putting that in a spreadsheet, nice to see data side by side.
Kinda along the same lines as my 02 was, SE 6 speed over drive, with the 3.37 primary set up. Good down low and thru the gears with good manners running up top on the hiway. Very much looking to forward to trying the DD7

IronMike113

Quote from: jmorton10 on December 02, 2018, 03:32:17 AM
The DD7 gearing is just about perfect IMHO.

I put one in my 07 RK after ripping six teeth off of 3rd gear in the POS cruise drive tranny.

The difference the DD7 ratios make is huge.  Before I blew the stock tranny, I was trying to decide what gearing change I should make to lower the lower gears so it didn't feel like I was always starting in 2nd gear.

With the DD7 that problem was solved without having to loose the stock top gear for high speed cruising.

~John

I Agree,and shift points seem to be more evenly spaced,and made my bike faster,,,,,,,,,,. :hyst:
2 Bikes and 2 Beemers, that's what I have been told 😳

Ohio HD

Quote from: skunk on December 02, 2018, 04:26:12 AM
Ohio,
    Thank you for putting that in a spreadsheet, nice to see data side by side.
Kinda along the same lines as my 02 was, SE 6 speed over drive, with the 3.37 primary set up. Good down low and thru the gears with good manners running up top on the hiway. Very much looking to forward to trying the DD7

Yes I think seeing side by side, and then knowing how the bike is for you now or with the previous gearing helps determine where to change things for better results.

Kllongbrake

Ohio, could I trouble you to maleone more change in the graph?
Currently a 2013 with game changer, stock trans and final drive
Installing a grudgebox and thinking of a 30 tooth trans pulley and returning engine sprocket to stock.
Will this lower ratio more than the game changer....or less? Thanks for your time.

Kllongbrake

Ohio HD

This weekend I can, I'm traveling till then.

Kllongbrake