March 29, 2024, 07:35:21 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

FXR 124" twin cam

Started by nosjunkie, November 25, 2018, 12:02:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nosjunkie

Sand blasted the frame.. and gave it some paint. even put clear on it...
added some tabs for a filler plate where the oil bag used to live.
[attach=0]  [attach=1]  [attach=2]  [attach=3]
LIVE FREE OR DIE..

nosjunkie

Reamed out the trans hole for the pivot bolt and added a bronze bushing.
[attach=0]  [attach=1]
LIVE FREE OR DIE..

nosjunkie

Minor delay today.... which is common when you tear them this far apart.. I have the bearings for the neck but need the dust seal.. Got the fork oil in and the swing arm put back together since coating.
[attach=0]
LIVE FREE OR DIE..

turboprop

I love seeing FXR projects like this. Those transmission mods look great as does that arm from Joe.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

Ohio HD

I appreciate your skills and your ideas. I think this will be a very fine bike when finished.

nosjunkie

Quote from: turboprop on December 16, 2018, 08:02:48 PM
I love seeing FXR projects like this. Those transmission mods look great as does that arm from Joe.

Thanks again TP.... You were the source of the information I needed...
LIVE FREE OR DIE..

klammer76

Very nice build. I'm impressed with and envious of your machining/welding skills.

peckerwood

No Cents

08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

Deye76

Fabrication skills are fantastic. This is taking shape to be one of the nicest I've seen. Are the fork tubes (internal tubes) anodized? 
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

nosjunkie

Quote from: Deye76 on December 17, 2018, 04:28:04 PM
Fabrication skills are fantastic. This is taking shape to be one of the nicest I've seen. Are the fork tubes (internal tubes) anodized?
Thank you... They were black when I bought them... The fork tubes outters were gold... they were stripped and anodized black.
LIVE FREE OR DIE..

1workinman

Quote from: nosjunkie on November 25, 2018, 12:02:24 PM
Starting with this... Found it under a persons deck being neglected... Motor may have been hurt.. it turned over.. With a breaker bar.. NOT easily.. Starter assembly was toast... Primary cover was off... I had been working on the Road Glide.. but now im distracted with this...

[attach=0,msg1268454]

[attach=1,msg1268454]
I was in Paris Tx Harley dealer today and they had a bike like that well the sales manager there said it as plenty fast . Looks like your doing a great job on the build

Jbco2

Project coming along NICELY!
Im watching it closely come together.
Welding on the the oil is nice, its not easy getting that bead on the contaminated alloy to looks as nice and hold, I used to do the this way before we started machining the out (Deviant Fabrications).
and thanks for choosing  our Eccentric Aluminum FXR Swingarm, the black makes it really standout.

HighLiner

Quote from: Jbco2 on December 18, 2018, 12:02:36 AM
Welding on the the oil is nice, its not easy getting that bead on the contaminated alloy to looks as nice and hold, I used to do the this way before we started machining the out (Deviant Fabrications).
and thanks for choosing  our Eccentric Aluminum FXR Swingarm, the black makes it really standout.

Is Deviant really out of Beirut?  Looks like some really cool products but how's the import process?

nosjunkie

Quote from: HighLiner on December 18, 2018, 06:07:39 AM
Quote from: Jbco2 on December 18, 2018, 12:02:36 AM
Thanks Joe.....

Is Deviant really out of Beirut?  Looks like some really cool products but how's the import process?

Yes they are... Import was easy.. It only took about a week to get the swingarm.. the only glitch in it was my CC company was weirded out and denied the charge until I contacted them..

They produce very nice stuff... I was going to buy a pan from them if the one I built didnt work out..
LIVE FREE OR DIE..

IronButt70

Quote from: Deye76 on December 17, 2018, 04:28:04 PM
:agree: Looking forward to the finished product.
No one else put you on the road you're on. It's your own asphalt.

Alien

1FSTRK

Great project.
Thanks for posting and keep us updated.
:up: :up:
"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

klammer76

I like the bushings in the trans for the swingarm shaft  :up:

nosjunkie

I had to bore out the triple tree... I should have done it before anodizing but it came out fine..
LIVE FREE OR DIE..

nosjunkie

I spent a little time today breaking down the heads. Im going to do 2 sets one for this project and another for the RG. One set had cast iron guides in them, not sure if thats oem or not.... and of course one broke during removal.. That set will need some oversize bronze guides. The seat to valve size on the intake seems like a mistake from HD.. there is no room to cut a radius.. but the seat has plenty of room for a bigger valve...

LIVE FREE OR DIE..

turboprop

Quote from: nosjunkie on December 23, 2018, 08:15:14 PM
I had to bore out the triple tree... I should have done it before anodizing but it came out fine..
[attach=0,msg1273185]  [attach=1,msg1273185]  [attach=2,msg1273185]  [attach=3,msg1273185]

Those look like the trees and extensions that Brock sells. I saw them a few years ago at the T-Twin Expo. Looked like they were really well thought out. I think mounting a Harley style front fender can be somewhat of a challenge with that fork. The sport bike fender will bolt on, that's what I did with two of my FXRs. Which front fender are you planning on using?

nosjunkie

Those look like the trees and extensions that Brock sells. I saw them a few years ago at the T-Twin Expo. Looked like they were really well thought out. I think mounting a Harley style front fender can be somewhat of a challenge with that fork. The sport bike fender will bolt on, that's what I did with two of my FXRs. Which front fender are you planning on using?
[/quote]
They are trees and extensions from Brocks.... I followed your recommendation on using them.. (See I listen a little)... I will more than likely build a fender using a HD take off and chop it up and build brackets.. and if I dont like it Ill buy a sport bike front fender..
LIVE FREE OR DIE..

pwmorris

Looks great so far-
A great plan, well executed, and the many details addressed makes all the difference, and is what separates a nice build from truely a bad ass build....as it looks like this one is going to be-

turboprop

Having built a few inverted forks that were used on FXRs, I have to say I really like this stuff from Brock's. Very easy, clean, inexpensive, dont have to use 'Dropped' trees, maintains the rubber bushings for the risers, etc. These trees and extensions from Brocks are less than $1k total and would have saved me a lot of work, time and money. I am seeing more and more FXR's being built with inverted forks, aluminum swing arms, killer brakes and TC124 engines. Fun times in the FXR community for sure, but sort of anxious for the crowd to move on to something else and start selling these bikes for pennies on the dollar.