April 19, 2024, 08:31:08 AM

News:

FXR 124" twin cam

Started by nosjunkie, November 25, 2018, 12:02:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nosjunkie

Quote from: pwmorris on December 24, 2018, 07:40:49 AM
Looks great so far-
A great plan, well executed, and the many details addressed makes all the difference, and is what separates a nice build from truely a bad ass build....as it looks like this one is going to be-
Thank you.... The plan was properly laid out with the help of Turboprop.. Im just following it as close as I can... His bikes as well as yours were the inspiration for this build...
LIVE FREE OR DIE..

nosjunkie

Quote from: turboprop on December 24, 2018, 07:59:12 AM
Having built a few inverted forks that were used on FXRs, I have to say I really like this stuff from Brock's. Very easy, clean, inexpensive, dont have to use 'Dropped' trees, maintains the rubber bushings for the risers, etc. These trees and extensions from Brocks are less than $1k total and would have saved me a lot of work, time and money. I am seeing more and more FXR's being built with inverted forks, aluminum swing arms, killer brakes and TC124 engines. Fun times in the FXR community for sure, but sort of anxious for the crowd to move on to something else and start selling these bikes for pennies on the dollar.
The stuff from Brocks is nice.. The trees, forks, extensions and anodizing was about $1250. Using the trees with the 1.7" offset will require finding the correct front axle, my donor is short...
LIVE FREE OR DIE..

turboprop

Quote from: nosjunkie on December 24, 2018, 08:58:53 AM
Having built a few inverted forks that were used on FXRs, I have to say I really like this stuff from Brock's. Very easy, clean, inexpensive, dont have to use 'Dropped' trees, maintains the rubber bushings for the risers, etc. These trees and extensions from Brocks are less than $1k total and would have saved me a lot of work, time and money. I am seeing more and more FXR's being built with inverted forks, aluminum swing arms, killer brakes and TC124 engines. Fun times in the FXR community for sure, but sort of anxious for the crowd to move on to something else and start selling these bikes for pennies on the dollar.
The stuff from Brocks is nice.. The trees, forks, extensions and anodizing was about $1250. Using the trees with the 1.7" offset will require finding the correct front axle, my donor is short...

OK, you lost me here, I dont understand how the offset in the tree can affect the front axle.

For reference, my inverted forks use the same tube spacing as the donor, GSXR-1000 trees. That fork uses a 25mm axle. As luck would have it, the rotor spacing on a harley, sealed bearing narrow glide hub is the same as the GSXR front wheel. I simply used the GSXR front axle, changed the bearings/spacer tube in the harley hub and made new axle spacers. Was pretty simple actually.

So that you know, there are titanium axles available off the shelf for these forks. When I do the BST wheels, a titanium axle will go in the front at the same time.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

turboprop

OK, you lost me here, I dont understand how the offset in the tree can affect the front axle.

For reference, my inverted forks use the same tube spacing as the donor, GSXR-1000 trees. That fork uses a 25mm axle. As luck would have it, the rotor spacing on a harley, sealed bearing narrow glide hub is the same as the GSXR front wheel. I simply used the GSXR front axle, changed the bearings/spacer tube in the harley hub and made new axle spacers. Was pretty simple actually.

So that you know, there are titanium axles available off the shelf for these forks. When I do the BST wheels, a titanium axle will go in the front at the same time.

nosjunkie

Quote from: turboprop on December 24, 2018, 10:01:18 AM

The 1.7 offset only comes in a 214mm spacing.. I held the GSXR tree up next to the Brocks and they are narrower.. I just have not measured how much yet.
LIVE FREE OR DIE..

nosjunkie

Put the 25mm bearings in the rear wheel.... I guess the 25mm bearing is quite a bit narrower... and they dont make a wider version... Ill need to dig into this further. I really like the added width..  [attach=0]
LIVE FREE OR DIE..

Shoreglide

I believe I've got the same trees from Brock's due to the 1.7 offset. They are spaced at 214mm(Hayabusa spread) versus 207mm(GSXR spread). Planning to use the Hayabusa axle for mine, but a titanium axle would be sweet.

ecir50

brock sells a 21mm wide 25mm version bearing.

turboprop

Quote from: nosjunkie on December 24, 2018, 10:16:17 AM

The 1.7 offset only comes in a 214mm spacing.. I held the GSXR tree up next to the Brocks and they are narrower.. I just have not measured how much yet.

That is going to affect the alignment of the rotors to the calipers. With the 207mm spacing the rotors on a narrow glide hub align perfectly with the calipers. I did not know the trees from Brock's had different spacing depending on the offset.
What is the offset on the Brocks trees with the 207mm spacing?

nosjunkie

Quote from: turboprop on December 24, 2018, 08:38:33 PM
Quote from: nosjunkie on December 24, 2018, 10:16:17 AM

That is going to affect the alignment of the rotors to the calipers. With the 207mm spacing the rotors on a narrow glide hub align perfectly with the calipers. I did not know the trees from Brock's had different spacing depending on the offset.
What is the offset on the Brocks trees with the 207mm spacing?
I figured that.. Ill need to source or build spacers...
2.375" offset for the 207mm
LIVE FREE OR DIE..

Shoreglide

Brock's used to offer 1.7" or 2.375" offset in 207 and 214mm spacing. They  narrowed down the choices in the last year or so.

nosjunkie

The bracket for the foot rest has enough room now.... looks like a bike again....
[attach=0]  [attach=1]  [attach=2]
LIVE FREE OR DIE..

FSG

You going to install studs?

nosjunkie

Quote from: FSG on December 25, 2018, 03:05:49 PM

I hadn't planned on it.. Why do you ask?
LIVE FREE OR DIE..

FSG

QuoteI hadn't planned on it.. Why do you ask?

I always fit studs as a preventative maintenance measure, just see it as a lost opportunity not to do so.

sfmichael

looks like it's coming right along  :up:
Colorado Springs, CO.

turboprop

Quote from: nosjunkie on December 25, 2018, 03:43:37 PM
Quote from: FSG on December 25, 2018, 03:05:49 PM

I hadn't planned on it.. Why do you ask?

Some (Many) member there believe that the two doweled bolt holes are weaker because they do not have the same length of threads inside the engine casting. The twin cam crowd is 'different'.

wfolarry

I'm one of them. They're the holes I always see stripped out. Studs fix that.

turboprop

wfolarry

Quote from: nosjunkie on December 23, 2018, 08:26:39 PM
I spent a little time today breaking down the heads. Im going to do 2 sets one for this project and another for the RG. One set had cast iron guides in them, not sure if thats oem or not.... and of course one broke during removal.. That set will need some oversize bronze guides. The seat to valve size on the intake seems like a mistake from HD.. there is no room to cut a radius.. but the seat has plenty of room for a bigger valve...

[attach=3,msg1273186]

You should push your guides out from the top. you stand a better chance of not buggering up the hole.

nosjunkie

Quote from: wfolarry on December 26, 2018, 02:57:50 AM
Quote from: nosjunkie on December 23, 2018, 08:26:39 PM
I spent a little time today breaking down the heads. Im going to do 2 sets one for this project and another for the RG. One set had cast iron guides in them, not sure if thats oem or not.... and of course one broke during removal.. That set will need some oversize bronze guides. The seat to valve size on the intake seems like a mistake from HD.. there is no room to cut a radius.. but the seat has plenty of room for a bigger valve...

[attach=3,msg1273186]

You should push your guides out from the top. you stand a better chance of not buggering up the hole.
I pushed them out Opposite the direction you install them.. Probably should have just cut it out.. the others came out without a fuss.. not that one though...   Larry do you mean push them through the port... going the SAME direction they were installed? was the cast iron guide OEM?
LIVE FREE OR DIE..

wfolarry

dynabagger

Nice project. Thanks for sharing.
2001 FXDXT, 117"
2014 KTM 1290 Super Duke R

Deye76

Quote from: nosjunkie on December 16, 2018, 06:48:21 PM
Reamed out the trans hole for the pivot bolt and added a bronze bushing.
[attach=0,msg1272120]  [attach=1,msg1272120]

Does the bushing go the entire length?
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

nosjunkie

Quote from: Deye76 on December 30, 2018, 12:08:46 PM
Quote from: nosjunkie on December 16, 2018, 06:48:21 PM
Reamed out the trans hole for the pivot bolt and added a bronze bushing.
[attach=0,msg1272120]  [attach=1,msg1272120]

Does the bushing go the entire length?
Yes...
LIVE FREE OR DIE..