April 20, 2024, 01:20:02 AM

News:

is timkin crank conversion needed

Started by hihosilver, January 14, 2019, 02:18:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don D

Consider a rebuild on the crank. That's it. That will get it trued and rod bearings addressed. Balancing not needed.

Hillside Motorcycle

No reason not to balance the flywheels at that point.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

jls 64

js

guppymech

Hihosilver, I tried to PM you but your inbox is full.  Sorry to bring up the Oil word but I'm really curious....

The inside of your engine looks really good for 150k miles.  Could you tell me what oil you use and how many miles between changes?  Thanks

Tom
'84 FXE, '02 883R

Mattbastard

My recommendation would be to do what I did to my dad's 04 Ultra back about 7 years ago.  He bought it with 93K miles.  We had Darkhorse rebuild the crank with take-off rods from a new crank, and anything else the crank needed with a balance to 95" cast iron conversion pistons.  Also added an Andrews 21 cam, converted to gear drive now that the crank was dead nuts straight and balanced, and some light head work by me.

IMO, if you're using it for just riding and touring, keep the lefty roller.  Yea the Timken is a better design, but overkill for street use. 

PoorUB

Another thing, the OP mentioned budget. No need to go with some of these mods on a street engine. Make sure the replacement crank is true, getting it welded or pro plugged or what ever magic crank builders are doing is a god idea, but if the crank is straight it is probably good enough for a street build, unless the OP likes to hot rod. If it needs to be trued, then go the extra and have the crank guy do his magic to it.

Hundreds of thousands of stock cranks out there rolling down the road with no issues.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

turboprop

Quote from: Mattbastard on March 28, 2019, 09:25:45 AM
My recommendation would be to do what I did to my dad's 04 Ultra back about 7 years ago.  He bought it with 93K miles.  We had Darkhorse rebuild the crank with take-off rods from a new crank, and anything else the crank needed with a balance to 95" cast iron conversion pistons.  Also added an Andrews 21 cam, converted to gear drive now that the crank was dead nuts straight and balanced, and some light head work by me.

IMO, if you're using it for just riding and touring, keep the lefty roller.  Yea the Timken is a better design, but overkill for street use.

Would like to know more about these cast iron pistons. Do tell.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

Mattbastard

Quote from: turboprop on March 28, 2019, 11:55:24 AM

Screamin Eagle has them:

flat top - 22851-99A
high CR - 22661-99A

I used the flat tops, had Darkhorse bore to the 88" cylinders with .001" clearance (since they're cast).  They're specifically for 95" conversions with the 4" stroke crank. 

kd

Quote from: Mattbastard on March 28, 2019, 05:29:19 PM

Screamin Eagle has them:

flat top - 22851-99A
high CR - 22661-99A

I used the flat tops, had Darkhorse bore to the 88" cylinders with .001" clearance (since they're cast).  They're specifically for 95" conversions with the 4" stroke crank. 

Matt, you missed the point.  Did you type the original post about your recommendation on your phone?  If so it decided it knew what you wanted to say and put in "cast iron pistons" to your description.  I'll bet you didn't mean "iron".   :doh:
KD

turboprop

Screamin Eagle has them:

flat top - 22851-99A
high CR - 22661-99A

Those pistons are not cast iron.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

prodrag1320

"overkill for street use" (???)

Mattbastard

Quote from: kd on March 28, 2019, 05:42:56 PM

Screamin Eagle has them:

flat top - 22851-99A
high CR - 22661-99A

Matt, you missed the point.  Did you type the original post about your recommendation on your phone?  If so it decided it knew what you wanted to say and put in "cast iron pistons" to your description.  I'll bet you didn't mean "iron".   :doh:

WOW, yea, I meant aluminum.   :emoGroan:

I got cast iron on my mind with my Axtell cylinders on my Evo.