April 25, 2024, 02:33:05 AM

News:

Cam and crank sprocket tightening

Started by chas, March 26, 2019, 05:03:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chas

Hi All!! I have just replace cam tensioners and now I'm putting cam plate with cam and crank sprockets back. I have the crank timing marks in line with cam plate marks. I put back tire on the ground, push on back brake to tighten crank sprocket, then I notice the timing marks move forward out of alignment! I'm assuming there is play in the gears.and that I'm still in time because the chain has not skipped a tooth! Is this correct? In the service manual it says any time the marks don't align you have to take sprockets off and re- align! Thanks in advance-Chas

Coyote

road-dawgs1

What are you putting in between the two sprockets to hold while tightening? Their is a delrin plastic tool that is available for cheap, but there are workarounds. They won't move using the tool.
'24 FLTRX Sharkskin blue

chas

I know of the tool being aluminum, and its at the cheapest 50!! Didnt know about the delrin version. Do you have a link for it?

rigidthumper

Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

Chippitt68

I bought one on amazon and it didn't fit. Said all twincams and that's not the case. I did a search and someone suggested making a locking tool from epoxy putty. Worked pretty well. I put assembly lube on gears so the putty didn't stick to them. 15 min later, cam locking tool. ~$8

FSG

OK so the crank turned slightly

turn the rear wheel backwards which will turn the crank backwards

you wont need much movement of the wheel, do the marks line up again ?

road-dawgs1

Quote from: Chippitt68 on March 27, 2019, 03:58:54 PM
I bought one on amazon and it didn't fit. Said all twincams and that's not the case. I did a search and someone suggested making a locking tool from epoxy putty. Worked pretty well. I put assembly lube on gears so the putty didn't stick to them. 15 min later, cam locking tool. ~$8

The tool for TC88 is different than the one for TC96
'24 FLTRX Sharkskin blue

Rsw

Quote from: FSG on March 27, 2019, 05:51:37 PM
OK so the crank turned slightly

turn the rear wheel backwards which will turn the crank backwards

you wont need much movement of the wheel, do the marks line up again ?
That's what I was thinking

Langwilliams

I just hold the rear brake with my elbow while torquing...it's only 34 Ft lbs so it's not that much.

Hossamania

Quote from: Langwilliams on March 28, 2019, 06:04:57 PM
I just hold the rear brake with my elbow while torquing...it's only 34 Ft lbs so it's not that much.

Yup, I tied mine down if I remember right.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.