April 25, 2024, 04:53:49 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

110 Drop On Cylinders

Started by D-1, March 28, 2019, 03:52:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

D-1

Can the 110 drop on cylinders from S&S or SE be used with CVO style heads and a 110 piston designed for the 110 heads? Ive got an old stage 4 SE kit that used the MVA? heads (not CNC ported). Suburban speed dont make their 107 pistons for CVO heads anymore and i was looking to increase capacity and comp a bit.

If you use a drop on kit, piston to cylinder clearance can be checked, but can it be changed if its not right? Which of the S&S or SE is better for ring seal, straight and round etc for those who have measured them?

Thanks

prodrag1320

compression difference from 107" flat top pistons to 110 flat top pistons wouldn't be much,find someone who offers 107" pistons for MVA heads,their out there

Don D

To answer your question
Kb makes a piston kb661 std 4.2cc dome
Use HD cylinders
Hone to fit, will require about .0015 material removed

sfmichael

Quote from: HD Street Performance on March 28, 2019, 06:05:54 AM
To answer your question
Use HD cylinders

:up: great info - thanks Don
Colorado Springs, CO.

D-1

Quote from: HD Street Performance on March 28, 2019, 06:05:54 AM
To answer your question
Use HD cylinders

Is there any special stones required to hone the tool steel liners in the drop on 110 cylinders?

Don D

I used a hard stone in the same grits I use on cast iron.

D-1

Do you prefer SE over the S&S now that they are not the tool steel liner?

Roadflyer

I'm in the process of doing a set of HD drop in cylinders and KB pistons on my bike (KB914c).
I had to hone the cylinders .0005" to get the proper clearance, My machinist had no problem honing the jugs with
his normal stones. The HD cylinders were surprisingly straight and round, mostly they were a bit tight on the bottom of the cylinders.
Be prepared to do a bit of clearancing on the exhaust side of the block where both cylinders slip in, The cylinders will slide in
just fine, the pistons will hit the block when the skirts travel below the bottom of the cylinder liner.

Don D

I hear what you are saying and agree except for one item.
Here is a quote from KBs instructions

Special note on STANDARD size pistons: .001" less clearance is built into the piston to allow honing of a good STANDARD bore cyl.
New cylinders must be checked for proper wall clearance and may require slight honing

5 tenths will put the fit on the tight side.