April 19, 2024, 08:31:22 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Primary Torque values, 06' Fatboy

Started by SmokyOwl, April 04, 2019, 05:01:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SmokyOwl

I got a softball question; I'm a bit confused here on torque values for my 2006 Fatboy EFI.  The Haynes manual [2478] (twin cam 88, 96 & 103 models '99 to '10) I'm reading has these specs for a 2006 Softail on page 2B-2:

Primary chaincase bolts, Softail, 2006:  27 ft./lbs
Primary chaincase inspection cover bolts: 84-108 in./lbs

However, assuming these numbers are correct, I'm seeing no mention of the derby cover torque.  Is the derby cover the same as the inspection cover bolt values?  Maybe it's just me but 27 foot pounds seems to be a little high for the smallish case bolts.
"Attack life.  It's going to kill you anyways." - Steve McQueen

FLDavetrain

27 lbs is way off. Keep it in the 120 inch lbs range
currently 510ci on tap

kcbike

27 lbs is for the inner primary to motor and transmission...the sealing bolts

Ohio HD

Quote from: kcbike on April 04, 2019, 05:19:28 PM

:up:

SmokyOwl

OK great!  That avoided a disaster lol.  Still then, I can't find the primary cover bolts torque at all, and have no idea of the derby cover bolts.  Do they just have no torque rating?  I can't find them anywhere.

Edit: is the Derby cover referred to as "clutch release cover bolts"? set at 84 to 108 in./lbs?

Hossamania

I don't have specific answers, but I will recommend getting a genuine Harley manual. It has more info than the Haynes.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

koko3052

Quote from: SmokyOwl on April 04, 2019, 06:04:53 PM

OK great!  That avoided a disaster lol.  Still then, I can't find the primary cover bolts torque at all, and have no idea of the derby cover bolts.  Do they just have no torque rating?  I can't find them anywhere.

Edit: is the Derby cover referred to as "clutch release cover bolts"? set at 84 to 108 in./lbs?

Yes...plus all outer primary cover screws the same.

SmokyOwl

Quote from: koko3052 on April 04, 2019, 07:04:47 PM

Yes...plus all outer primary cover screws the same.

Awesome, thank you Koko.  Thanks everybody for taking a bit of time out to help. 

I was on the fence even asking here cause of the simplistic/newb question.  I've been on forums before for years and I'll admit that after a while it gets aggravating answering simple no-brainer questions like these that get asked on a daily basis.  I rather do my own research and not bother asking others but my timeframe just didn't allow it this time.  So really, thanks again.

Hossamania

I recommend a little anti-sieze on the derby cover and inspection cover bolts, they tend to give me grief next time if I don't.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

motorhogman

Quote from: Hossamania on April 04, 2019, 06:15:47 PM
I don't have specific answers, but I will recommend getting a genuine Harley manual. It has more info than the Haynes.

:up: :agree: I have some Haynes manuals.. Much rather use my OEM ones.
where's the points and condenser ?<br />Tom / aka motor

Quote from: Hossamania on April 05, 2019, 04:05:29 AM
I recommend a little anti-sieze on the derby cover and inspection cover bolts, they tend to give me grief next time if I don't.

👍 brilliant.

Karl H.

The 2006 Manual says:

Derby cover = Clutch inspection cover => 84 - 108 in-lbs (5 bolts)

Primary cover => 108 - 120 in-lbs (13 bolts)
Dyna Wide Glide '03, Softail Deluxe '13, Street Glide '14, Sportster 883R '15