March 29, 2024, 08:19:59 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Fuel spray - not the usual

Started by Otter656, April 11, 2019, 10:26:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Otter656

I recently changed out the pump, filter, regulator, and all hoses, and that is when this started. When I first turn on the ignition I get the priming sound, then it goes quiet. Soon as I start the bike I get the spraying sound, but it goes away once the tank is down to about 3/4 full; not sure if it actually stops spraying or what, but I hear no spray sounds.
I was reading that this could be normal discharge from the regulator?

The bike is a 2011 FLTRX and runs great, starts easy, no surging, no popping.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Hybredhog

Put a fuel pressure gauge on it & watch. It should be steady at 50-60 psi depending on the gauge, but if the needle is bouncing around, you may have a pin hole in a fuel line or clamp leak.
'01 FXDXT, '99 FXDL/XRD, '76 FLH

fleetmechanic

I chased everything on a 2011 FLHTP with running problems and when I heard spraying in the tank I replaced the pressure regulator only to see a new one acting the same.  If the fuel pressure test shows normal the spraying doesn't seem to matter.  The problem with this bike turned to be MAP sensor wire fails.

chaos901

I don't understand the spraying sound stopping when the gas gets lower, if it is a leak in the line I believe you should hear it more then.  Of course this is not the only thing I don't understand. 
"There are only two truly infinite things, the universe and stupidity." AE

Otter656

Thanks for the suggestions guys - I don't have a pressure gauge (yet) but will see ifn I can find one this weekend. I opened the top and pulled the housing up while I turned on the ignition and it is spraying from the little port in the regulator. Will try checking that assy for any defect since it is new and this problem didn't exist before I changed it.

Does anyone know how this regulator operates? I mean is it basically just a bypass for excess pressure and nothing more?

tia,
Otter

hogmandon

I don't know if they are the same but on my 06 the plastic mounting tabs break easy so the regulator leaks.

Otter656

Thanks Hogman. I read about that and folks are saying there was a change to the filter/regulater canister in '10 to overcome that issue. I've been trying to find a part number to replace the canister as I was thinking maybe the canister has warped over the years...so far can't find a part number, but haven't tried the dealer yet; I tend to avoid them ifn at all possible :)

HD/Wrench

reg housing may be cracked on one side . common issue

chaos901

I have a Fuel-Tool Pressure Gauge that plugs into the fittings at the bottom of the tank.  I works good but there should be others.
"There are only two truly infinite things, the universe and stupidity." AE

Boe Cole

I accidentally broke my fuel line where it goes to the injectors and had to buy a new one.  New one was cheap but it left me with the old line and its connector to the tank.  Cut the line and plugged in my fuel pressure tester.  Works like a charm and is a whole lot cheaper than a custom gauge for hd's plus the guage works for other applications.

Just a thought for you if interested.
We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.

rbabos

Quote from: Boe Cole on April 12, 2019, 09:20:40 AM
I accidentally broke my fuel line where it goes to the injectors and had to buy a new one.  New one was cheap but it left me with the old line and its connector to the tank.  Cut the line and plugged in my fuel pressure tester.  Works like a charm and is a whole lot cheaper than a custom gauge for hd's plus the guage works for other applications.

Just a thought for you if interested.
Back in the day, I did the same. Bought a second fuel line and added a gauge to it. For the v rod I bought an R12 fitting and added a gauge.

Ron