April 26, 2024, 07:52:05 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

liquid cooled heads

Started by 89 fxrs, April 12, 2019, 06:46:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

86fxwg

This bike had no indications of anything wrong! Still cranked semi warm 195/193 CCP.

86fxwg 06flhx 10flhx

FSG

Quote from: harpwrench on April 17, 2019, 05:40:25 PM
HD says sticky rods aren't a problem now... :down:

https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2015/HARLEY-DAVIDSON/FXDL#manufacturerCommunications

Tech bulletin 1HDM5V2A05

Tech Article TA0023 2018-04-27 , - Crankshaft Rod Bearing

to be found in the Section

HD/Wrench

Right . have a m8 in here that is a factory 114 and the rods are stuck bad pistons show heavy wear dealer tore it down said nope charged customer for reduced labor kicked it out the door. Customer gave the MOCO the middle finger its getting a re built crank by GRC and a 128 kit . its a shame but keeps me busy

rbabos

cheech

Quote from: rbabos on April 18, 2019, 10:35:58 AM

https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2015/HARLEY-DAVIDSON/FXDL#manufacturerCommunications

Tech bulletin 1HDM5V2A05
That is unreal. 50 shades of denial.
Ron
I thought the same thing when I read it. Tight tolerances and slight out of roundness in the bore create "zones of resistance" that is felt when the rods are moved by hand. No performance or durability concern.  :wtf:  Yeah OK

Next the pistons will be seizing in the bore, stopping the engine cold.
They'll be like; "Um It's the tight tolerances."
Customer; But it doesn't run!
Them; "There is no performance or durability concern"
Leaked TSB on the situation all over the net.
Every Service Writer at the dealers; "We've never seen this situation."  :scratch:

crowgo

Yes, it's the hottest spot on the head. Water Cooled because of that, IMO not so. MOCO water cooled because they couldn't meet emission standards without leaning the mix and therefore increasing the temp even more.
If you can't meet emissions, don't lean it to achieve the standard. Didn't some auto manufacturers run double plugs to achieve standards? Aircraft engines run double plugs not only for redundancy but for a more efficient burn. Ever price a plug for a Beechcraft?
20FLTRK,15FLHTKL,05FXSTSI,02FLHTCUI
12000MI 37000MI  76000 MI   184000MI

86fxwg

Quote from: cheech on April 18, 2019, 12:57:27 PM

Tech bulletin 1HDM5V2A05
Ron

Every Service Writer at the dealers; "We've never seen this situation."  :scratch:

The exact reply i just got from our local service writer!

86fxwg 06flhx 10flhx

Hilly13

Quote from: GMR-PERFORMANCE on April 18, 2019, 06:57:04 AM
Right . have a m8 in here that is a factory 114 and the rods are stuck bad pistons show heavy wear dealer tore it down said nope charged customer for reduced labor kicked it out the door. Customer gave the MOCO the middle finger its getting a re built crank by GRC and a 128 kit . its a shame but keeps me busy
That's disappointing, here I was thinking the crank was something they had actually improved from the twin cam!
Just because its said don't make it so

PoorUB

Quote from: Hilly13 on April 18, 2019, 05:36:27 PM
That's disappointing, here I was thinking the crank was something they had actually improved from the twin cam!

:hyst:
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Clayton24

I kno this is against all of the people with the exsperience ! But i did put a set of twin cooled SE cnc heads on my brothers 15 streetglide . I already had the heads sitting around so i figured wth! Lol i geuss time will tell its 103" with s&s 585 cams and fuel moto breather and gutted head pipe with mellows i geuss time will tell but i do kno its pushing it with the cooling effects . It runs good so far but realy no mileage yet to kno. I just thought i would share the info . Thanks

HD/Wrench

Tech bulletin 1HDM5V2A05
Ron

Just installed a 128 kit on a CVO 114 bike . Hd told this guy the same thing  The rods where very bad. Owner refused to replace/ rebuild crank so no warranty on my end it ran very well did not get hot fast made very good power . No idea how long it will last but  475 cam stock heads stock tb 121/141 with a Trask nasty bastard short dump pipe and had a very good curve

jrgreene1968

I wandered about those short side dump pipes. I like the looks, but figured they were power robbers. I had a chance to get one awhile back, don't remember the brand.. almost bought it, but figured I was waiting my time and money if I did.