March 29, 2024, 05:07:42 AM

News:

morris mag m-5

Started by brent, October 05, 2019, 07:00:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brent

do they work as good  as some say can you kick start with them easy

Ohio HD

I've only used a mag once, and it was in a six volt system. So it was a considerable increase in starting ease. It replaced a fixed no auto advanced distributor, so it was a smoother running bike afterwards as well.

guppymech

I've never had a mag on a bike but I do have some experience with Aircraft and Farm equipment magnetos.   That Morris one has a impulse coupling which gives a hot late spark and should be a good starter on a Shovel.  The impulse coupling stops the mag from turning while the engine is at cranking speed, at the same time it's clock spring is winding up.  Then as the engine nears TDC the coupling trips releasing the spring which spins the mag quickly through it's firing position giving a strong spark.
'84 FXE, '02 883R

Rosa's Cycle Shop

We just installed the M-5 on two different   bikes one was 74 inch Pan the other a 80cuin Shovel both being kick only. both bikes had S&S E carbs After getting tuned in, timing & jetting the M-5 worked as good or better than any type of ignition I have seen in the past 40yrs easy to start , hot or cold, perfect Idle, after a long ride I would recommend and use the M-5 all day long

brent

wondering have a joe hunt mag and its a mother at times to start the morris I think is 2100 bucks though

kd

I used a Joe Hunt mag on an 86" 1956 pan / shovel with a 44 mm L series S&S carb.   It took a massive kick to start dependably.  Later I machined the left side crankcase and switched to the early aluminum electric start primary set-up and an auto advance breaker.  It would start on less than a full revolution from then on.  It would start like that with the mag too but not if you got lazy with the kick effort.
KD