March 28, 2024, 02:39:13 PM

News:

outer primary torque

Started by a_disalvo, October 23, 2019, 05:13:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

a_disalvo

My service manual says to torque the outer primay bolts to 18-22 lb/ft. Same setting as the inner primary???? I think this is a misprint. What does anyone elses manual say? Thanks, Frank

rigidthumper

Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

Reddog74usa

Stay on the low side of the TQ. specs on these older aluminum parts. Don't ask me how I  know.
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

Burnout

90in-lbs is really friggin tight! NO MORE than that. The HD manuals say to torque some 1/4" bolts to 120in-lbs, they will pull good threads right out at that setting!

I guy I used to work for wrenching on HD's told me once, that his customers expected me to use a torque wrench on everything.

I had just finished some work on a motor sans-torque wrench and I grabbed a torque wrench and told him to check them.

Click - click,  Click - click,  Click - click!    :up: :SM: :beer:

He never said another word about the use of torque wrenches...
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

turboprop

Quote from: Reddog74usa on October 23, 2019, 08:08:34 AM
Stay on the low side of the TQ. specs on these older aluminum parts. Don't ask me how I  know.

Time-Cert kits are a requirement for owning a shovel and really should be for older Evo's. 
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

david lee

Quote from: Burnout on October 23, 2019, 09:04:25 AM
90in-lbs is really friggin tight! NO MORE than that. The HD manuals say to torque some 1/4" bolts to 120in-lbs, they will pull good threads right out at that setting!

I guy I used to work for wrenching on HD's told me once, that his customers expected me to use a torque wrench on everything.

I had just finished some work on a motor sans-torque wrench and I grabbed a torque wrench and told him to check them.

Click - click,  Click - click,  Click - click!    :up: :SM: :beer:

He never said another word about the use of torque wrenches...
a hd mech told me 35 yrs ago when i inquired about torquing head and base bolts. he just said tight but make sure its done evenly.he must have been right as it hasnt been touched since.he knows old and new hds and still in business

Burnout

Head bolts, case bolts, oil pump bolts all get a torque wrench, I can tighten them evenly without, but I'm not THAT good. Just like rod and main cap bolts on a car motor.
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

Reddog74usa

When it comes to cam cover and primary screws I do not use a tq. wrench as even at the low specs the threads will still strip out as the spec is to high from the factory especially on older cast aluminum.
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT