March 28, 2024, 01:57:27 PM

News:

2012 night rod overheating

Started by nightrod, October 12, 2014, 08:12:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nightrod

Here is the description of my issue. I am a new v rod owner

My bike is completely stock, after owning the bike for the past six months I have used no coolant what so ever, my overflow tank is at the correct level, there is fluid in my radiator as well as the engine. My fans still turn on correctly, but even after a short ride, both exhaust gets red hot. Does anyone have any suggestions on what is going on?

rbabos

Quote from: nightrod on October 12, 2014, 08:12:34 PM
Here is the description of my issue. I am a new v rod owner

My bike is completely stock, after owning the bike for the past six months I have used no coolant what so ever, my overflow tank is at the correct level, there is fluid in my radiator as well as the engine. My fans still turn on correctly, but even after a short ride, both exhaust gets red hot. Does anyone have any suggestions on what is going on?
Stock v rod cal is extremely lean. I saw the same prior to retuning it with PV.
Ron

nightrod

Thank you for that info, so you don't think it would be my water pump, or thermostat?

rbabos

Quote from: nightrod on October 13, 2014, 09:27:40 AM
Thank you for that info, so you don't think it would be my water pump, or thermostat?
Nope, just lean. Over temp light will come on around 240 if overheated and the extra expansion will dump extra fluid out of the overflow bottle. It will be obvious as the fans will not be able to keep up and never shut off. Normal on/off is 217-208 temps. However if there is a definate overheat conditon, first thing to check is the triple sprocket bolt to make sure it hasn't come loose. Rare but does happen basically because the factory dropped the ball on that part. Load rotations tend to loosen bolt so it should have been a left hand thread. Normal fix is clean loctite and torque to spec. No further issues. Not saying you have or will have an issue but if ever in there, service that bolt. I've yet to do mine after 2 years. :banghead: Two issues arise if it gets loose. Pump impeller slips, causing overheating and a loss of oil pressure to the engine. If you EVER see the oil light flicker at idle, fix right away.
Don't forget the bleed screw under the breather if ever topping up the main system with coolant, which if not done will also contribute to overheating due to air effecting coolant circulation.
Service manual is a great investment.
Ron

nightrod

Awesome information, thanks a lot for the help