April 19, 2024, 06:46:32 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Tires for a Softail?

Started by Finn, July 13, 2019, 11:51:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Finn

Bear with me...  :beer:

So, my Softail needs a set of new tires.

My trusted shop found me time on Thursday for a bit of maintenance and new tires. Unfortunately right now I don't know what tires they have in stock or if they need to be ordered. If ordered that has to be done on Monday.

I have been reading numerous topics about tires but I'm not sure if I'm wiser or even more lost. However, my short list is for once fairly short.

Original tire sizes are MH90H-21 and 130/90H-16. Now there sits 80/90-21 and MU85-16 (close fit)

As far as I can tell these combos are available here:

MH90-21 (54H) Dunlop American Elite
130/90B16 (73H) Dunlop American Elite

MH90-21 (54H) Metzeler ME 888 Marathon Ultra (Brazilian made)
130/90B16 (73H) Metzeler ME 888 Marathon Ultra (Brazilian made)

MH90-21 (54H) Pirelli Night Dragon
130/90B16 (73H) Pirelli Night Dragon

MH90-21 (54H) Michelin Commander II (probably made in Thailand)
130/90B16 (73H) Michelin Commander II (probably made in Thailand)

For Avons a wider rear tire is needed:

MH90-21 (56V) Avon Cobra Chrome AV91
140/90B16 (77H) Avon Cobra Chrome AV92

MH90-21 (56V) Avon Cobra AV71 (probably out of stock by now)
140/90B16 (77H) Avon Cobra AV72 (probably out of stock by now)

A 90/90-21 front tire would look nice but there seems to be no room for it on this Springer as fender bolt heads on the inside are very close already now.

I think my choice is between Dunlops and Avons but the day is still young...

I'm hoping for good and stable handling, decent grip in dry and wet. Mileage is secondary but if they last 7...10k that is a plus.

Any advise about tires for this old Softail would be very welcome.

-83 GS1000G | -84 GSX1100EF | -97 FLHR | -98 FLSTS | -16 Triumph Tiger Explorer XRT 1200

IronButt70

Only MCIIs for my softail. Great grip, great mileage. I run air pressures lower than what is recommended because it works for me and it's hot most of the time where I live/ride. YMMV.
No one else put you on the road you're on. It's your own asphalt.

Finn

Cheers.

May I ask where yours are made? MCIIs sold over here appear to be made in Thailand - like mine.
-83 GS1000G | -84 GSX1100EF | -97 FLHR | -98 FLSTS | -16 Triumph Tiger Explorer XRT 1200

screem

On my Evo Softail i have run Dunlops, Avons, Metzlers... all with about the same results, none have preformed significtlany better than the others. My next set will MCII , just because i have never run them and the prices are inline with all the other brands.
  I have just over 160,000 miles on this bike, i live in South Florida, and these roads down here are brutal on rear tires.. 7000 miles is about average for me, maybe a little less if i am at point off replacement time and rainy season is coming, then i replace, not to squeeze another 1000 miles out of them, as the roads here get slick during a rain.
   I generally buy a pair, and wear out one rear, replace it, when the second rear tire is to be replaced, then i buy a new set... i am fanatical about air pressure in both tires, and check both weekly
  So if your local shop can get you a good price on some top tier tires( Dunlop,Avon,Metzler MCII, ) then go for it, and enjoy that new BadBoy

92flhtcu

just an FYI, in Dunlop's world

MU85 = 140

MT90 = 130
Need a bigger garage

IronButt70

Quote from: KaritheFinn on July 14, 2019, 04:38:24 AM
Cheers.

May I ask where yours are made? MCIIs sold over here appear to be made in Thailand - like mine.
Same here. Thailand.

NCHeritage07

@Screem: I would love to see 7K out of a rear tire.  I bought my bike needing a rear tire and my first new tire only went about 2500 miles.  If forgot the brand but the model was Spitfire.  The second new tire, a Dunlop 402 (labeled as an HD tire) and it is currently in need of replacement after just short of 3000.  I have an MCII ordered and I hear people say they get big miles from them.  With the limited lean angle of my Heritage, I am not really concerned about grip.

Mine is a stock 96" TC and I am not that hard on the throttle.
On the days that I hold my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have pretty good days.  -RWH

Hossamania

Quote from: NCHeritage07 on July 14, 2019, 04:17:32 PM
@Screem: I would love to see 7K out of a rear tire.  I bought my bike needing a rear tire and my first new tire only went about 2500 miles.  If forgot the brand but the model was Spitfire.  The second new tire, a Dunlop 402 (labeled as an HD tire) and it is currently in need of replacement after just short of 3000.  I have an MCII ordered and I hear people say they get big miles from them.  With the limited lean angle of my Heritage, I am not really concerned about grip.

Not to be a wise ass, but have you calibrated your tire pressure gauge? 3000 miles seems awfully low mileage on a stock Dunlop, unless it was old (check the date code) or run at improper pressure.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

lickidysplit

Quote from: Hossamania on July 14, 2019, 05:39:51 PM

Not to be a wise ass, but have you calibrated your tire pressure gauge? 3000 miles seems awfully low mileage on a stock Dunlop, unless it was old (check the date code) or run at improper pressure.
:agree:That tire should get you way better mileage than that with the riding style you describe. I usually get around 10000 miles out of one on an 05 springer classic

Finn

I overthink things and agonize while doing so but I eventually tend to be able to make a decision. Well, I did say Avons at the counter and changed that to Dunlops after just a minute.  :SM:

Avons were the cheapest and Michelins most expensive. I decided to order a set of Dunlop American Elites which pricewise were right in the middle and in stock at the distributor. Which was nice.  :smile:

ThumperDeuce

I've been running Metzler 880 XXL's on my Deuce since 2004 without any big problems.  The fronts have been from Brazil and the rears from Germany.  Granted the main reason is that the 200 mm rear is the only 200 that will fit my rear wheel.  I did have a front start to show signs of cracking at the sidewall after about 3 years.  I will probably try some Cobras next time around even though I'll have to go down to a 180 rear.
Idiots are fun, no wonder every village wants one.

IronButt70

Do you ride a lot of twisties and mountains. I got less mileage out of my last MCII rear and I'm guessing that is because of the 4k miles we road through the Appalachians last year. Flat Florida is pretty good for getting high mileage out of tires.

NCHeritage07

Quote from: IronButt70 on July 15, 2019, 06:33:32 AM
Do you ride a lot of twisties and mountains.

Almost exclusively.  I am in Northwestern NC and ride straight roads only as a means to get to the interesting ones(and occasionally trips to the store).  While I am not hard on the throttle, I guess there is so much accel and decel on my roads that its the same as being heavy on the throttle.  Also, I am not a rear-brake-first kind of rider and probably guilty of not using it enough.

Just checked my rear pressure with 3 different gauges.  2 showed around 38 and the third showed ~36.  The one showing 36 is cheap looking and I don't even know where it came from.

To the original poster: American Elites would have been my second choice after the Commander II.  I have only read good reviews about both.

On the days that I hold my gratitude higher than my expectations, I have pretty good days.  -RWH

IronButt70

Quote from: NCHeritage07 on July 15, 2019, 08:19:03 AM
Quote from: IronButt70 on July 15, 2019, 06:33:32 AM
Do you ride a lot of twisties and mountains.

Almost exclusively.  I am in Northwestern NC and ride straight roads only as a means to get to the interesting ones(and occasionally trips to the store).  While I am not hard on the throttle, I guess there is so much accel and decel on my roads that its the same as being heavy on the throttle.  Also, I am not a rear-brake-first kind of rider and probably guilty of not using it enough.

Just checked my rear pressure with 3 different gauges.  2 showed around 38 and the third showed ~36.  The one showing 36 is cheap looking and I don't even know where it came from.

To the original poster: American Elites would have been my second choice after the Commander II.  I have only read good reviews about both.
Thought so. Group of us heading to Murphy in late August for 4 days of mountain riding. Agree with you on the American Elites.

Finn

Dunlop American Elites arrived and I went to my trusted dealer yesterday. New tyres ride very, very well and I'm pleased with them.

Trans and primary fluids were changed too. Considering that bike had been sitting for 18 months it was interesting to see what the fluids would look like - but they both looked normal. We put Belray for primary and trans. Engine has Valvoline VR1.

Weather looks nice, I'm going on the road.

PS. Some interesting bikes they had.  :smiled:

BVHOG

Commander II is a great tire.  For reference I have probably had 5-6 hundred bikes on my dyno and only had two tire problems, both were Avon
If you don't have a sense of humor you probably have no sense at all.

NCHeritage07

I have about 1000 miles on my new Mich CommanderII rear tire and it still looks new.  Zero flattening in the center.  Considering that I could not get 3000 miles before the cords were showing on the stock and other tires, I am impressed.

Same dimensions do seem a little more narrow than the 402 that I removed.

Stuffa

I have just fitted Avon cobra chromes to my Heritage with 21" free net and 18 rear. I'm very impressed with these tyres they hold to the road well in dry and wet. I've previously had Commander 11 and ME 880 and the Avon are much better.

Blazing Saddles

I have been running the Dunlop E 3 tires for a few years. I just put a set of the new Dunlop E 4 tires on my '04 FX Springer and have just finished a 5 day 2000 mile ride.
They feel great and actually like the tread design better than the E 3's.

lesguns

I just turned 14K on my 18 Delux with Dunlop 402--front has plenty tread left. will get new rear one soon,will be American Elite

IronButt70

Quote from: Stuffa on September 17, 2019, 11:50:54 PM
I have just fitted Avon cobra chromes to my Heritage with 21" free net and 18 rear. I'm very impressed with these tyres they hold to the road well in dry and wet. I've previously had Commander 11 and ME 880 and the Avon are much better.
In my experiences Avons are known for grip but wear out much faster compared to other brands.

Stuffa

Quote from: IronButt70 on September 19, 2019, 06:01:08 AM
In my experiences Avons are known for grip but wear out much faster compared to other brands.

They say the chromes are much longer lasting I guess time will tell

IronButt70

Quote from: Stuffa on September 19, 2019, 03:02:45 PM
Quote from: IronButt70 on September 19, 2019, 06:01:08 AM
When the time comes let us know what kind of mileage you got.

They say the chromes are much longer lasting I guess time will tell