April 19, 2024, 07:38:15 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Early Twin cam problem has been going on for 3 years PLEASE HELP

Started by hotbagger1, August 16, 2019, 06:51:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotbagger1

I think I may have figured out my problem! Since it's basically doing the same thing as just shutting the bike off and turning it back on ,it has to be the run off switch wires further down the harness .because of the fact when I replaced the run off switch I didn't use the whole three feet of wire that they give you I just went down a few inches and spliced it in  .since my wires run through my bars it has to be something worn inside the bars. So this week I am going to pull all the wires out and Trace all the wires and hopefully I can get the problem solved.

Dan89flstc

Do we have all the facts now, or is there something else you haven`t told us?

Gone from this one...
US Navy Veteran
A&P Mechanic

hotbagger1

Quote from: Dan89flstc on August 19, 2019, 07:08:21 AM
Do we have all the facts now, or is there something else you haven`t told us?

Gone from this one...
Whatever!

FXDBI

Quote from: hotbagger1 on August 19, 2019, 06:52:10 AM
I think I may have figured out my problem! Since it's basically doing the same thing as just shutting the bike off and turning it back on ,it has to be the run off switch wires further down the harness .because of the fact when I replaced the run off switch I didn't use the whole three feet of wire that they give you I just went down a few inches and spliced it in  .since my wires run through my bars it has to be something worn inside the bars. So this week I am going to pull all the wires out and Trace all the wires and hopefully I can get the problem solved.

Taking shortcuts will bite your butt all the time , they sell it to you with the wire on it ao you can replace that section of the harness and NOT splice a piece in.  Shortcuts create all kinds of problems. You said you replaced it and you actually spliced a new one in, the omission of this fact and others like it make it very difficult if not impossible to trouble shoot problems. It happens all the time here. Good luck with your endeavors.  Bob

Hossamania

How long ago was the splice done? And, I'm assuming this started after that?
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

hotbagger1

Quote from: Hossamania on August 19, 2019, 11:12:55 AM
It was spliced in two weeks ago. This problem has been an intermittent problem for 3 years.

harpwrench

You might want to check out the bank angle sensor circuit, it was mentioned several posts back

hotbagger1

Quote from: hotbagger1 on August 19, 2019, 11:52:22 AM
Quote from: Hossamania on August 19, 2019, 11:12:55 AM
It was spliced in two weeks ago. This problem has been an intermittent problem for 3 years.
my wiring is run through the handlebars I thought about that is we would doing it but I figured I'd try anyway since it was so much work to pull all the wiring out of the bars and check everything. But it will be coming apart this week and have the wiring redone in the bars

lilchief

I for one am curious to see what you find. Please post your results.

Thanks
Lil Chief

BrownsfaninMN

...if the bike starts and runs then just out of the blue shuts off, while its running start wiggling all the harnesses and see if you can't isolate the problem that way (if necessary do the same with the bundles under the front fairing).

HarleyFranco

I had a 2000 softtail that had a similar problem, it turned out to be the ignition coil.  I replaced and all was good.

Frank