April 20, 2024, 04:08:02 AM

News:

JayBrake leaking on pistons?

Started by 1340evo, August 25, 2019, 12:26:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1340evo

So, got the Hog up and running this weekend, only to find my rear 4 pot caliper leaking!!

Its only ever done 2500 miles from new, never been wet etc... everything on the JayBrake has gone wrong for some reason or another... are these things prone to problems?

On both the bar and foot brake, the plastic bobin inside has swolen and got tight so I've had to remove them and turn 0.001" off the things so they are free again....

now I have a leaking piston...

does anyone know how to get the pistons out and where best to get a seal kit that will ship to the UK...
that said, 2500 miles, is there something else wrong with the unit?

Should I contact JayBrake and ask them.. if so does anyone have contact details??..  cheers

1340evo

Ok.. have found the brake and i think the kit I need is J-300-54

so have mailed J&P cycles to see if they can help... if they ship to the UK.. if not, I have a friend in NJ so he could send on.. also looks like options to buy OE or some cheaper kit's?.. see what they come back with....

Also will get some piston pliers tomorrow ;)

CndUltra88

Quote from: 1340evo on August 25, 2019, 03:04:30 PM
Ok.. have found the brake and i think the kit I need is J-300-54

so have mailed J&P cycles to see if they can help... if they ship to the UK.. if not, I have a friend in NJ so he could send on.. also looks like options to buy OE or some cheaper kit's?.. see what they come back with....

Also will get some piston pliers tomorrow ;)

Dont forget the BFH and to hold your tongue just right....
Hope it works out and your back on two wheels quickly.
Rob
Infantryman Terry Street
End of Tour April,4,2008 Panjwayi district Afghanistan

1340evo

does anyone know whats happened to JayBrake?.. info is sparce?

The above post is not correct.... Listed for my calliper is J-300-4 but all thats around is J-300-4TB which is a Transmission Brake version?.. may use the same pistons tho?

My caliper is a J-304-0441 type, but looks very similar to a MP 125x4SL?.. are these the same unit?.. whats happened to MP??

Have all the brake people gone bust in the US?

Does anyone know a brake expert over there who would know the details on these parts and where to get them?.. I'm sure they are based on a standard square section seal with the pistons measuring 31.7mm OD... someone somewhere has worked this out... any info appreciated ;)

1340evo

Anyone any info on this at all?.. turns out the 4TB will not fit... 

J&P have some bits in stock but can't be bothered to go measure them for me :(

The seal is about 1.250 ID and 0.100 square section

what material will they be?

thanks

machinist

FWIW  supertrapp group owns them, by their site
"it was a black bike officer"

1340evo

yes, thanks... tried them but were no help at all....
getting a bit stuck now ?

Boe Cole

Quote from: 1340evo on August 25, 2019, 12:26:54 PM
So, got the Hog up and running this weekend, only to find my rear 4 pot caliper leaking!!

Its only ever done 2500 miles from new, never been wet etc... everything on the JayBrake has gone wrong for some reason or another... are these things prone to problems?

On both the bar and foot brake, the plastic bobin inside has swolen and got tight so I've had to remove them and turn 0.001" off the things so they are free again....

now I have a leaking piston...

does anyone know how to get the pistons out and where best to get a seal kit that will ship to the UK...
that said, 2500 miles, is there something else wrong with the unit?

Should I contact JayBrake and ask them.. if so does anyone have contact details??..  cheers

Regarding getting the pistons out, I've always used compressed air and wood blocks to keep the pistons from going into orbit.
We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.

mrmike

I'm not leaving til I have a good time

1340evo

thanks Guy's.. got the pistons out with piston pliers and air.. thats not the problem... I still can't find seals....

of the road for a rubber ring!!....

anyone any ideas on these things... someone out there must know :)