April 25, 2024, 06:00:34 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Oil cap/dipstick hard to remove

Started by Panzer, August 30, 2019, 06:53:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Panzer

Even though this post is about a sporty, just thought it might get more exposure here in the "general section".

I'm changing oil and filter on an 06' sporty and to loosen the oil cap I have to use channel locks wrapped in a rag to loosen it and to reinstall it.
I have the same thing happening on an 07'.
Both bikes are 1200 customs.
I tried putting silicone around the "O" ring and still tight.
I've wiped it dry and put motor oil around the "O" ring and the mouth of the tank fill........still so tight that you can't remove the cap/dipstick by hand or install it.

Anybody know what going on with this?

TIA
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

Boe Cole

Had an 06 sporty and as i recall, to change oil, you had to push down on the filler cap and when it popped up, you just unscrewed the dipstick/cap.  If its hard to loosen, my guess it that it is due to age and the tank neck shrinking.  If indeed that is the case, then about the only solution i can think of would be to replace the tank or sand down the dipstick threads.  Its been 13 years so i may be off base on the screw part of the dipstick.
We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.

ViseGrips

August 31, 2019, 03:34:53 AM #2 Last Edit: August 31, 2019, 03:43:21 AM by ViseGrips
..Panzer; ..are you going to need more rear signal lights with the oil change this time ?..  :potstir:... :wink:

Sinker

I have the same issue with my 2000 Road King. When I try to remove it only comes out a little bit so need to use something with a straight edge to pop it out. I carry a small pocket knife that has a screwdriver on that works for me.

road-dawgs1

Quote from: Boe Cole on August 30, 2019, 07:51:03 PM
Had an 06 sporty and as i recall, to change oil, you had to push down on the filler cap and when it popped up, you just unscrewed the dipstick/cap. 

Panz, are you doing it this way? If you look at the video at the 0:37 mark you'll see how easy it pops up and turns

https://youtu.be/Fosvpy4VTD8
'24 FLTRX Sharkskin blue

motorhogman

My 01 FLHT has been like that since day one.   I just turn in a few times, grip it with a rag and pull.  Had to glue it back together a couple of times.  Used loctite super glue last time..  so far it holding.  Been a long time.. don't recall how long ago.
where's the points and condenser ?<br />Tom / aka motor

smoserx1

The one on my 99 FLHT is tight too and I have also had to re-glue the metal cap back on.  I am actually kind of glad considering the problem I used to hear of them popping out.  However it makes me wonder if maybe there was a tolerance issue with the rubber part, some too tight and some too loose?

Panzer

road-dawgs1, sure am doing it that way and it use to be that easy but not anymore.
Yes, I pop the center, it jumps up 1/8 of a turn counterclockwise and that's as far as it goes then I use the channel locks.   Geeeeeeeeeeeeeez.
It use to be easy.  :emoGroan:
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

motorhogman

Just looked at that video..  Completely different that the old FLH.   
where's the points and condenser ?<br />Tom / aka motor

nibroc

Quote from: motorhogman on September 03, 2019, 06:51:47 AM
Just looked at that video..  Completely different that the old FLH.

or an old XLCH

hogpipes1

Quote from: Panzer on August 31, 2019, 02:17:13 PM
road-dawgs1, sure am doing it that way and it use to be that easy but not anymore.
Yes, I pop the center, it jumps up 1/8 of a turn counterclockwise and that's as far as it goes then I use the channel locks.   Geeeeeeeeeeeeeez.
It use to be easy.  :emoGroan:

I would try some anti - seize on the threads

1workinman

Phu Cat

may be some lapping compound

Hope that was meant as a joke.  Lapping compound would play heck with the oil and other innards.

Our Tglide has a similar problem and the cap is in an area where it's surrounded by hot components.  So I bought a couple pieces of 3/4" PVC and made a tool that fits over the cap to get it past the "break-over" point where it comes out easily.  I suspect the dipstick gets so tight because when the engine is running there is vacuum on the crankcase and the engine's vibration causes it to get tightened to the point it's hard to break loose.  At least we don't have to worry about the cap blowing out.

PC
Too much horsepower is almost enough.

1workinman

Quote from: Phu Cat on September 04, 2019, 09:17:32 AM
may be some lapping compound

Hope that was meant as a joke.  Lapping compound would play heck with the oil and other innards.

Our Tglide has a similar problem and the cap is in an area where it's surrounded by hot components.  So I bought a couple pieces of 3/4" PVC and made a tool that fits over the cap to get it past the "break-over" point where it comes out easily.  I suspect the dipstick gets so tight because when the engine is running there is vacuum on the crankcase and the engine's vibration causes it to get tightened to the point it's hard to break loose.  At least we don't have to worry about the cap blowing out.

PC
Well not lol but I was not suggesting you fill up the neck . Just a light coat and pack the neck with a couple of paper towels and then some grease like the video that was done to drill and tap the neck for a fitting for a breather . If the op does not fell comfortable then not big deal . I certainly would not want and pieces of aluminum or lapping compound in the oil pan

Panzer

After given some thought, I removed the oil cap again with the pliers, this time I removed the"O" ring.
Va-la it goes in and out easy.
Did the "O" ring swell?  :scratch:
I'm trying different ideas, will update again when I find something that works.
Stand by.

PoorUB

I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

1workinman

Quote from: Panzer on September 05, 2019, 07:20:37 PM
After given some thought, I removed the oil cap again with the pliers, this time I removed the"O" ring.
Va-la it goes in and out easy.
Did the "O" ring swell?  :scratch:
I'm trying different ideas, will update again when I find something that works.
Stand by.
Yea probably lol it has too much crush fit or what ever its called . There are all kinds of o ring material and yea oil can make them swell . Probably buying a new dip stick is a easy fix or just replace the o ring with a correct fit and material

Panzer

That "O" ring had to swell, will shop for a replacement.
In the mean time I took a Q-tip and dipped in anti seize, coated over the "O"ring and its slot.
It did loosen it up after I seated it a few times.
Still going to get another "O" ring, for the real fix.
Hope this little problem helps some.

hbkeith

silicone will seal , but also is a adhesive

Panzer

BTW.......silicone spray didn't help at all.

hbkeith

Panzer

UPDATE ON THIS HARD TO REMOVE DIPSTICK.......................
I tried another "O" ring, same size and one smaller......... no good.
Giving it some thought, I took a small rat tail file and took a little material off of the "O" ring seat area.
Put on the original "O" ring and now the dipstick comes off and on as it was meant to be.......woooohooo.
Evidently the plastic had swelled.
Just a fix for those that might have the same problem.

Geezer_Glider

Well yea warm, going in and out, vibration, things swell and Oh well let it go at that.
Just saying,
R Meyer

76shuvlinoff

Worked on a friends 02 sporty a few years ago. The oil cap was a bear and he got it back that way.  :smileo:  There are additives to add desirable features to plastics. Cheaper stuff can move for a very long time.
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway