April 18, 2024, 12:52:12 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Crash Bar Mount

Started by fbn ent, August 31, 2019, 06:43:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fbn ent

August 31, 2019, 06:43:43 PM Last Edit: August 31, 2019, 07:09:29 PM by fbn ent
Anyone had any luck correcting a slightly misshapen (enough to crack the paint) crash bar upper mount? Slipped in the mud at Sturgis and went down plop...no speed involved but bent the bar....now the upper mount is tweeked dammit. Nobody will ever see this thing but would rather clean it up and repaint it. Bad set up if you ask me....yes I know....this won't be a write off. :angry:
'02 FLTRI - 103" / '84 FLH - 88"<br />Hinton, Alberta

Breeze

My friend did the same thing. Bent the bars and ripped the tab. He pounded it flat, ground the gap open a little and had it welded.  That was 10 yrs. ago and he hasn't mentioned it since. Also hasn't been down since, so no testimonial to strength, of which there was none to begin with.
I'm starting to believe my body is gonna outlast my mind.

smoserx1

Had a rear one bend on me when my bike was 3 months old from a dog T-boning me.  Straightened it myself with a large Crescent wrench and maybe a pipe for leverage, can't remember.  I do remember reading someone saying that was considered a bent frame and I could have had the bike considered "totaled."  Sounds like BS as the frame was about $1700 then and labor maybe 10 hours at perhaps $70/hr in 1999?.  Dog owner's homeowners paid for the repairs, about $900 and I made a couple of hundred or so as I replaced the stuff myself.

fbn ent

Quote from: Breeze on September 01, 2019, 04:09:41 AM
My friend did the same thing. Bent the bars and ripped the tab. He pounded it flat, ground the gap open a little and had it welded.  That was 10 yrs. ago and he hasn't mentioned it since. Also hasn't been down since, so no testimonial to strength, of which there was none to begin with.

The mount is so light that the mount on the bar (backed by a welded on nut  :crook:) can, and does, lever on the frame mount stretching/bending it. Just another poor design.

koko3052

Pound it back Randy, tig it & slap some paint on it.....you will need something else to do this winter besides shovel snow. Just around the corner! :cry:   Yes another piss poor design from moco. :up:

fbn ent

Yeah Bill BUT...I need it this weekend. Road Glide you know. I'll figure something out for the interim. As for the Winter thing, I'll be riding in the desert.  :bike:

Hossamania

Depending on how it's bent, can you make a press using some bar stock and threaded rod with some nuts and washers to pull it back into shape?
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Coyote

They are engine guards, not crash bars.  :wink:

How mine was repaired on the 2012 bike I bought from auction. This damage was what totaled the bike as insurance won't do the repair.

[attach=0,msg1313736]

[attach=1,msg1313736]

[attach=2,msg1313736]

Coyote

fbn ent

Nice! All that with the fender on? Think I'll take mine off......

Coyote

He didn't need the fender off as it was damaged and to be replaced. For those that have been to Sacramento Harley, this guy was their head mechanic and a friend of mine. Monty did this for me in his home garage not too long before a wrong way driver took his life.

[attach=0,msg1313740]

fbn ent

fleetmechanic

On a couple of ours I bent it back and used JB weld on the separated end.  Neither one has recracked in several years.

fbn ent

Well...just worked around the fender and straightened it as much as I could. Couple coats of paint and it's ready to go. Again....cheap ass design that only drives Insurance rates up when the dealer condemns the frame  :angry: .

Buglet

I don't think is is as much the dealer as the insurance company. I just had the insurance company call me on a bike to change the frame the guy said he hit a pot hole and nick the cross member. I have more bikes come in with bent cross members from driving over curbs or getting loaded on back of a truck or trailer worse then this one. I guess I have a frame to change.

PoorUB

Yep, my '05 and '10 Ultra's had been through ditches, down dirt farm roads, darned near high centered it a few times going off road but had the momentum up to slide it over the hump and keep going. If insurance was going to replace the frame every time one of them got a scratch on the underside of the frame they would spent more time in the shop then ridden! I remember meeting up with a bunch of guys and they got a kick out me rolling in with weeds and grass hanging off the underside on my Harley. Sorry, I bought it to ride!

I have seen a few totaled out sport bikes still ridden with nothing more than a scratch in the paint. Apparently insurance companies don't want to take the chance that there might be more wrong.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!