April 25, 2024, 08:45:21 PM

News:

Engine light comes on .......

Started by hotbagger1, September 03, 2019, 04:24:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotbagger1

September 03, 2019, 04:24:12 PM Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 04:37:24 PM by hotbagger1
My bike is a 2000 Electra Glide Standard and it's carbureted. When I start the bike up the red engine light comes on for about 2 or 3 seconds it shuts off for about 5 seconds and then comes on and stays on for about 10 seconds it just started doing this and being an older bike the shop keeps plugging their computer in and it's not bringing up any codes does anybody know what this means when it does this? Thanks in advance

smoserx1

Usually means a historic code that is no longer active.  Should eventually go away (after 50 "trips").  Used to get them all the time when my cam position sensor was hooked up with the bike's original ECM.  A starter kickback would cause it in my case.  Is your battery getting old?

hotbagger1

smoserx1

If you jump pins 1 and 2 of the data connector (near the ecm, under right cover) you can retrieve the code(s).  Turn on the ignition and the check engine will blink rapidly and then slowly, pause I think and blink slowly again.  The two slow blink counts will represent the first and second number of a code.  It will repeat the sequence and reveal the next code (if any) or repeat the other code.  The codes will be in your SM or post them here and someone will tell you what they are.  If you had an active code the light will stay on continuously in normal operation (i think).  I believe you have a historic code.