April 18, 2024, 08:53:34 PM

News:

2007 Nightster rough ride

Started by fbn ent, September 04, 2019, 10:37:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fbn ent

Is there any way to soften up the wife's Nightster? Short travel front and back (stock). She rides it hard but man it's a backbreaker.... :dgust: I've talked to Progressive, no luck...
'02 FLTRI - 103" / '84 FLH - 88"<br />Hinton, Alberta

PC_Hater

It is the nature of the beast!
My girlfriends 2008 Nightster is the same.
Longer fork tubes and longer shocks are the easiest and cheapest answer.
Ohlins might have some delightfully expensive options - and if they have them they will work.
RaceTech might have something to help the forks.

The end result was she gave the bike to her son.
If I didn't already have a Sportster I would have bought it off her - I found it to be a delight to ride: rough roads notwithstanding!
1942 WLA45 chop, 1999 FLTR(not I), 2000 1200S

fbn ent

"Longer fork tubes and longer shocks are the easiest and cheapest answer."

Yeah, I know, problem is any taller and it'll be too tall...

PC_Hater

Quote from: fbn ent on September 04, 2019, 01:18:31 PM
"Longer fork tubes and longer shocks are the easiest and cheapest answer."

Yeah, I know, problem is any taller and it'll be too tall...

OK then, this is what you do: have a really good look at the Sportster Low.

To make the ride better the seat height reduction is split between the tyres and the suspension.
Smaller diameter tyres let you use longer forks and shocks and get more comfort over the bumps.

The front wheel can go down to 18" or even 17". The 17" tyres are especially interesting. You can use modern low profile tyres such as 110/70 x 17, that drops the front end an inch and a half or so letting you use longer fork tubes.

The rear need not be 150/90 x 16. Bikes far more powerful and faster than a 1200 Sportser used 120/90 tyres in the old days.
120/90 x 16 or a 15" tyre would help.

A thinner seat can help too. I have a Le Pera Barebones with Biker Gel on my Sportster. It is never comfortable, but equally it never hurts either. The original Sportster single seat was an instrument of torture!
1942 WLA45 chop, 1999 FLTR(not I), 2000 1200S

fbn ent

Good tip...Thanks! Already have a shaved seat with a good insert. I'll check out wheel tire options.

biggzed

Give Pro-Action a call. They are really honest guys that make a great product. They come with a 30 day satisfaction guarantee. They aren't cheap, but if you're considering a wheel swap along with longer tubes and shocks then it's probably not a big deal.

Just give them a call and tell them what you are dealing with and what you want in the end. If they don't think their product will get you there I doubt they will take your money. 

Zach

Ironheadmike

Sporties have always rode like lumber wagons . I have 3 of them .